Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI Chipping

Options
  • 29-04-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi, I've got a 90bhp A4 that can feel quite sluggish sometimes so I was thinking about chipping it, just have a few questions for anyone who has had it done.

1. Does it make much of a difference to acceleration?
    2. What effect does it have when I bring it in for the nct?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sch!Sm wrote:
    Hi, I've got a 90bhp A4 that can feel quite sluggish sometimes so I was thinking about chipping it, just have a few questions for anyone who has had it done.

1. Does it make much of a difference to acceleration?
    2. What effect does it have when I bring it in for the nct?

i believe that model can be :chipped: to roughly the same power as the nevt PD engine in the audi range which i think is 110 bhp.

tuning box is one option.

answer 1 : slight increase in acceleration, mid rev responce should be much better, easier overtaking etc

answer 2 : NCT wont have any affect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

kceire wrote:
    i believe that model can be :chipped: to roughly the same power as the nevt PD engine in the audi range which i think is 110 bhp.

tuning box is one option.

answer 1 : slight increase in acceleration, mid rev responce should be much better, easier overtaking etc

answer 2 : NCT wont have any affect.

Spot on, I;ve had 3 diesels chipped and not one problem with NCT's etc well worth it too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Sch!Sm

Thanks for the replys, so while im here; does anyone know a good place to go in the Laois/Offaly area to get this done in their own experience?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sch!Sm wrote:
    Thanks for the replys, so while im here; does anyone know a good place to go in the Laois/Offaly area to get this done in their own experience?

martin tracey (westward engineering) in Enfield

http://www.westwardeng.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

I had my old Seat leon 110 TDI remapped in Westward. I had no problems with it, it made the car so much punchier with torque, absolutely loved the torque after the remap, felt like someone kicked me in the back every time I floored it, but with the nature of the Diesel it only lasted a very short amount of time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

ando wrote:
    ...but with the nature of the Diesel it only lasted a very short amount of time

Do the effects of 'chipping' wear off after a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Sch!Sm

DeBeere wrote:
    Do the effects of 'chipping' wear off after a while?

and if so how long do you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭fletch

No he means that the power only lasted for a few thousands revs meaning you'll have to change gear pretty quickly. A petrol car will rev up to 6k/7k whereas a diesel typically runs out of steam about 3.5k/4k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ando

fletch wrote:
    No he means that the power only lasted for a few thousands revs meaning you'll have to change gear pretty quickly. A petrol car will rev up to 6k/7k whereas a diesel typically runs out of steam about 3.5k/4k

That’s what I meant, sorry for confusion ;)

Advertisement