Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one? Nuvi 370 OR TomTom GO 910

Options
  • 29-04-2007 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭

Well i'm torn between these two. I'm meant to be traveling to the US in a few weeks and want to buy a GPS for over there/when i get back. Originally i was torn between the Nuvi 370 / 670 as i want to carry it around as well as in the car.

So pros/cons as it stands:

GO910
    Pro: 20Gb HD
    Pro: TeleAtlas Map Compatiable (Dublin maps seem more up to date on teleatlas)
    Pro: They are meant to do a full sweep of the country by the summer
    Pro: From reading online better interface?
    Pro: Cheaper - $430
    Con: mount is meant to be rubbish
    Con: Will have to buy irish maps i think as "not included" in Europe

Nuvi 370
    Pro: Includes Ireland map as default
    Pro: Better overall Irish coverage at the moment
    Pro: Better size for pocket
    Con: Price - $625
    Con: No sign of mapping getting upgraded soon

I'm so torn between them i'm even talking myself into getting both - :eek:

Edit: Oh and by the way if anyone has a better alternative just let me know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I would completely discount the TomTom because I don't trust the Teleatlas maps. A friend of mine has the latest version of these and was not very impressed. On a journey from Kerry to Cork, he was travelling on the road from Abbeyfeale to Newmarket and was suddenly told to turn right. There was no right turn! The direction arrow had also jumped from it's position on the road into the fields alongside. Teleatlas obviously screwed up on their data, having the road in the wrong place. He was aiming for College Road in Cork, No 4, to be precise. According to Teleatlas, there wasn't a No 4. On his older version Navteq maps, there was a No 4. The old Navteq also had the problem road in the correct position, confirmed by using Navteq for the return trip.

It's laughable that people who report map errors to either Teleatlas or Navteq get nothing for their efforts, still getting charged the full amount when the new versions are released.

The 20gig hard drive on the GO910 is a gimmick. Sure, you can stick your photos on it, and music, but it's just one big lump in your hand. After you take into account the pre-loaded maps and stuff, half the capacity is used up. If you retain your old version maps, as did my friend, there is even less space.

In conclusion, get a Garmin, or anything with Navteq maps.

Advertisement