Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

operating system on a usb stick you say?

Options
  • 29-04-2007 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

why yes, yes i do say. :D:D

I was looking at some of the links you guys put up and came across some other interesting sites that were linked off those. one of these was damnsmalllinux.org.
    very interesting. a small version of linux, small enough to run off a usb stick! :eek:

So off with me to Argoos to buy a schtick! I got a Verbatim 1gb stick for €22, not bad. i installed the OS today, pretty simple. up and running within the hour. i was very impressed, it ran extremely smooth! i'm gonna try installing more software and get this baby loaded up! :cool:

i tried out a full version of linux (mandriva) last year but there was so much messing about with it. its nice to just plug 'n play. plus i can take it with me to work and stuff. :)

oh yeah, links i used....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damn_Small_Linux

http://damnsmalllinux.org/

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/damnsmalllinux.org/current/dsl-embedded.zip

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-3.36.zip

sorry if this is a little too computer oriented for this forum :) i'll try do more diy projects in the future (with pics) ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Its all lies, Joe Robot is trying to convince us not to use the fantastic software that is Windows !!!! :eek:

Be off with ya, bleedin alchemist running an OS off a flash disk :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

ahh get outta that garden, you're just jealous! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Pff, running linux onj an 8051 is much more fun. :)
    I must try this USB stick thing sometime, if I can hang on to them, keep getting stolen. My precious 4 gig one recently departed. /checks out link.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

nice work joe.
    no experience of running linux for general PC work myself although have used it on powerPC/Arm embedded processors with very stable and reliable results. what are you planning to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Pff, running linux onj an 8051 is much more fun. :)
    I must try this USB stick thing sometime, if I can hang on to them, keep getting stolen. My precious 4 gig one recently departed. /checks out link.

I've got this one on my keys so I don't lose it. its handy because its so small.
    nice work joe.
    no experience of running linux for general PC work myself although have used it on powerPC/Arm embedded processors with very stable and reliable results. what are you planning to do with it?

I've only used Linux once before, I couldnt get my head around it. This seems to be an easier approach, I can go back to windows quite easily. The main reason I did it is because I wanted to mess around in Linux, but not have to go thru the messyness of dual boot again. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

I tried Puppy Linux on Windows ME box thats been gathering dust on me (On a Live CD, not a USB schtick). It booted up fine, but I couldn't get the keyboard or mouse working... Might be because they're USB peripherals and PL didn't have the drivers for them.

I lost interest largely because I haven't much of a clue what I was doing. Still, might try some more experiments with different Linux distros...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I just bought a 4GB one in a place near O'Connell bridge for €50 ... now if only I could get Mac OSX to run on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

6th wrote:
    ... now if only I could get Mac OSX to run on it!

Maybe this thread will help.

Tech > operating systems > Unix > Looking for a distro that looks most like MAC OS X

Not Mac OS X I'll admit, but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

That shouldnt be a problem 6th lemme dig around for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jjam2116

Hello my harddrive on my dell computer died recently and i was wondering if i could boot up my computer using this os on a stick. Also would my keyboard, mouse and wireless usb adapter work with the stick? and would i also be able to use ubuntu instead? because that os looks better

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

6th wrote:
    I just bought a 4GB one in a place near O'Connell bridge for €50 ... now if only I could get Mac OSX to run on it!

the one you got me never worked, stay away!!!.

gave puppylinux a go on a mini PC , all flash based so its quiet, no fans, only uses about 25W, does ok for streaming radio and playing MP3s but i found playing DIVX files to be too jumpy.

Got onto the internet fairly handy too using it's wisards, but I have not been able to N/W it with my NAS box.

I have it beside my bed its really just an internet radio and browser, doesn't cut it as a media PC IMO, but its free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

6th wrote: »
    ... now if only I could get Mac OSX to run on it!

http://pc-hacks.blogspot.com/2007/09/run-mac-os-x-from-usb-stick.html

Advertisement