Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Sq Feet

Options
  • 28-04-2007 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

Over the last few weeks myself and the missus have been looking at properties to get an idea of whats what so we have an idea of exactly what we require when it's time to buy.

The main thing I have noticed is the sq footage looks to be all over the show. I was hoping to use this as one of my guides to property price, but the sq footage on the brouchure never seems to match the property you are in.

Does anyone know how the estate agents come up with this value ? Is it officially documented somewhere ? Do they take measurements ? or is it all a guesstimate ( which is what it feels like ) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do not believe anything on an estate agents website - it is mere poof.

There are different methods of measuring floor area and they can vary by about 10%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Smoggy wrote:
    Over the last few weeks myself and the missus have been looking at properties to get an idea of whats what so we have an idea of exactly what we require when it's time to buy.

The main thing I have noticed is the sq footage looks to be all over the show. I was hoping to use this as one of my guides to property price, but the sq footage on the brouchure never seems to match the property you are in.

Does anyone know how the estate agents come up with this value ? Is it officially documented somewhere ? Do they take measurements ? or is it all a guesstimate ( which is what it feels like ) ?

Bring a measuring tape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

Measure the external walls is my best guide I think.
    It's quick and gives me a rough idea. At least I will have everything to a comparable size ( give or take wall thickness )

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that your external walls are likely to be 350mm thick.

Advertisement