Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the Cork flights and train tickets

Options
  • 28-04-2007 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

Last Sunday, I had cause to travel to Cork over night and elected to take the train. I got a lift from work and this is how I fared....

16:50 Arrived outside Heuston, decide the 17:00 is a goer over the 18:00 or 18:10 so by pass the food option
    16:53 Put credit card into vending machine and purchased a €61 ticket
    16:57 Boarded train
    17:00 Train leaves Heuston
    18:00ish Bought tea, crisps and a sandwich, cost €8.05
    19:38 Train pulls into Kent Station
    19:55 Picked up by friend
    20:35 Sitting in a house in Carraigaline

And the return trip...

19:15 Arrived in Kent Station, time to buy a bottle of water
    19:30 Leave Cork
    22:25 Arrive in Dublin
    22:45 Home, via an off licence; cost of cab, €8

Sum total of trip, €77.05

Just for pig iron, I decided to see how much the same trip via air would cost so here is the basic details for same. (Please note that I am planning this with the same amount of notice as I travelled with last weekend so I am aware of "cheaper flights" that may be had, it is a like for like exercise)

Sun, 29 April, 19:50 Dep, Arr 21:40, €79.99+€22.74 Handling/Tax
    Mon, 30 April, 18:35 Dep, Arr 19:25 €9.99+€23 47 Handling/Tax

Grand total, €136.19, not including baggage fee for walk up, insurance or credit card booking fees. In this booking, your looking at €150+ before you even leave your house. Or food or getting to travel hubs! And as for the 2 hour check in times, that equalizes the longer trip on the train, not to mention alighting.

I know how I'll be going to Cork the next time :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

My wife travelled to Carrigaline last weekend, flying Dublin to Cork return. Total cost of the trip 57 euro (there were cheaper flights) and she was door to door in about 2 hours.

It takes us about the same (~20 mins) time to get to Heuston as it does to the airport. I dropped and collected from Dublin. Her sister ditto from Cork.

Check-in closes 40 mins before departure, and the flights are always a bit shorter in duration than Ryanair advertise to allow them to say a flight is on time even if it's late by up to 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hamndegger wrote:
    18:00ish Bought tea, crisps and a sandwich, cost €8.05

:eek: They gouge you on the way in, and on the way there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

You can get from Cork Kent to Dublin Heuston day return mid week by rail including Luas or Bus transfer all in on one ticket for €46.40

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    :eek: They gouge you on the way in, and on the way there!

Now now, Kaiser, I know it is steep but if you can persuade me that the food in the airport is cheaper than that, I will buy you a pint :) Normally, I'd have eaten on the way but I was en route from work so I didn't have the time or chance to eat elsewhere.

That fare you quote, Marko, is pretty good for a up and down. The taxes and charges alone on a flight are 18 cent shy of that. Pity it isn't good from Dublin, though

Hamndegger wrote:
    if you can persuade me that the food in the airport is cheaper than that, I will buy you a pint
    You really can't say the food is any better on the train, either in price or quality, than it is at the airport or on a plane. Both are equally as bad, and are best avoided.

• Advertisement

Hamndegger wrote:
    I know how I'll be going to Cork the next time :)
    Given enough notice, I presume that's Ryanair, and not the slower, more expensive train? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

JHMEG wrote:
    Given enough notice, I presume that's Ryanair, and not the slower, more expensive train? :D

Let's be honest here, the cheapest flight is going to be, what? €46.23, if you allow one cent flights each way, not take any luggage, somehow pay without any other surcharge and tie ones self to that time and that time only to travel with. €14 cheaper than the train, perhaps. But my whole point is this; there is more stability in the train (fixed prices, no undue bag weighing, hidden extras etc) and yet more flexibility for one to travel viz a viz more departures, comfort in travel, speed of boarding etc. Hell, the train is even cleaned en route these days! To tie it down to price alone., however, we can hop on the Bus and see hwo we both like it :(

Not to say that the flight won't be a better deal in certain circumstances (Swords commuters will find it handier, say) but to assume that it is ALWAYS better is at best myopic given the limits of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I prefer the train myself. €45 return with an under-26 card always, no having to shell out €200 if you decide to go home at short notice. No emptying out your pockets and taking off your shoes, no ID required if you're not claiming a discount, no Ryanair trying to screw you over at every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stark wrote:
    no Ryanair trying to screw you over at every turn.

Ryanair is the rason we can debate if the train/plane is cheaper , and not debating if a weeks wages will cover a cork to dublin flight...

Advertisement