Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cash Discount on Small Car

Options
  • 28-04-2007 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I'm buying a new car for the first time and I'm wondering what kind of cash discount to expect. The local dealer offered €600 off the list price of €17,300 on a new VW Polo. Is that about right? I had hoped for a bit more but he didn't seem willing. Also someone told me that I'd be better off to look at the Opel Corsa because they generally get bigger discounts. Anyone have any thoughts? Are some brands better than others for discounts?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yes you can get a better offer from opel thats what i have heard but remember you wont get the same resale value.
    Vw polo have good resale value compared to opel and other small cars

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You should be able to get up to around 8% discount for a straight cash sale depending on the model.

€600 is a miserable discount on €17,300 and my guess is the dealer might think you are a bit green around the ears due to it being your first car.

Shop around for the best deal and don't be afraid to travel to get the right deal. Remember a new car doesn't need to be serviced or have warranty work carried out at the garage it was bought. It can be done at any dealer selling the same brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

why do car dealerships offer discounts for cash anyway ? Would they also offer the same discount for a cheque ? 17 grand is alot to be carrying around!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

voxpop wrote:
    why do car dealerships offer discounts for cash anyway ? Would they also offer the same discount for a cheque ? 17 grand is alot to be carrying around!

Its not refering to actually walking in with €17,000 in cash, it just means your not tradin anything in against the new car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

voxpop wrote:

was that a joke? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

drdre wrote:
    was that a joke? :)

eh yeah, a joke, thats it.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,404 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AL Hayes in Portumna gives huge discounts on Polos. give him a ring and see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bertiz

Thanks for the advice. I have a weeks holidays coming up so I'm going to shop around for the best deal. I'll let you know if I can get a better price than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

obviously not - misread first line :o

land9 wrote:
    try selling the car private - anything with a long nct should be worth the guts of a grand anyway
    what car are you trading in?

Did you read the original post at all?

• Advertisement

Bertiz wrote:
    Hi,
    I'm buying a new car for the first time and I'm wondering what kind of cash discount to expect. The local dealer offered €600 off the list price of €17,300 on a new VW Polo. Is that about right? I had hoped for a bit more but he didn't seem willing. Also someone told me that I'd be better off to look at the Opel Corsa because they generally get bigger discounts. Anyone have any thoughts? Are some brands better than others for discounts?
    Thanks.

You should be getting a good discount on a new Polo. They are hardly running out the door these days in huge numbers. The current one being around since 2002 with an all new one just around the corner.

Are you completely convinced on the idea of the Polo (vested interest..)

colm_mcm wrote:
    Are you completely convinced on the idea of the Polo (vested interest..)

Yes, there are much more modern similar cars out there for around the same money. Yaris, Corsa, Grande Punto, Clio, 207, etc.

I like the order you put those in bazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bertiz

I like the idea of a Polo because of the reputation VW has of being reliable. But I didn't realise that there was a new Polo on the way. I thought that they had just brought out a new one - admittedly looking just like the old one with new headlights. Are you sure there is a new one coming out bazz? If there is that would change my mind on getting a Polo at all. After all the valve would probably drop once the new one would come out.

VW's reputation now lies in solid build rather than outright reliability. They are not that dependable in real life. a long way behind the Japanese manufacturers. Also, safety wise, it isn't up there with the best, with only a 4 star rating.

I would recommend looking at a Yaris. A 5 door 1.0 Luna (which has 68bhp. more than a 1.2 Polo) costs 17,600 and has a 3 year warranty and a 5 star crash rating - it also gets 9 airbags. A fair discount is generally available too.
    Resale value on Yaris is also very strong, as is reliability.

It should be noted that I appear slightly biassed, but I would like to see anyone come up with a new car that costs so little to own, whilst still giving top safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

colm_mcm wrote:
    I like the order you put those in bazz

Why doesn't that surprise me ;)

But in fairness, OP, open up your mind. The VW Polo is not in the same league compared to its competitors as it was a decade or two ago

And what bazz said. €600 off on €17k is a pretty miserable cash discount

Advertisement