Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Music and Copyright

Options
  • 28-04-2007 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wondering what the story is regarding Classical Music and copyright. Is it true that once a piece of work is 70 years or there abouts the copyright ceases so therefore classical music can't be copyrighted. Just wondering as I would like to use a small piece of music for a project I'm working on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

It's 70 years from the death of the composer I think. Anyone up to 1937 or so. I'm really not sure on this, especially with recordings being 50 years and all that jazz. It's pretty confusing for me personally.

Whats the piece (and project - if thats okay)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭cayenne

was thinking of Holst's Jupiter for the background music for a brief slideshow I'm creating. Won't even need to use the whole piece, approx a minute, not more than 90secs. I've been led to believe that you can use 20% of any piece with outout seeking permission to use it or breaking copyright?

Holst wrote the planets round 1915 or so. Thats beyond the 70 yr mark, but again, I'm far from the formost opinion on copyright.

However, its the recording that could cause you problems. Depending on when it was recorded, by whom etc. I can't see it causing you problems though if its only a minute or so, especially if you're not making money from it? Still, don't take my word as I couldn't be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭cayenne

no, i won't be making money off it. Haven't even decided if i'll add music yet but thought it might just add a little extra to it as its a great piece. Thanks for the help anyway

Hmmm, tis a brilliant piece alright. Good luck with the project. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Just for interest, you need to take care also if its a vocal piece and the words were written by someone (whose name you might not normal know) other than the music composer . The composer might have died in the 20s, but if the wordsmith outlived him (say by 30 years) then copyright for the whole work is still valid.

OK for your Holst tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm pretty sure it's 70 years from the last renewal of the copyright, not 70 years from the composer's death. Not positive about that, though.

Also, the piece may be free of copyright, but I doubt the recording is.

Advertisement