Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Road Safety ad...

Options
  • 28-04-2007 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭

Is this one gone too far?
    Its so graphic, I cant imagine what its like for survivors and affected families to watch it.

I feel myself that this particular ad has overstepped the mark.

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't think it goes too far-excellent ad

Here's a link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ8oCq8hXps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

That actually had less of an effect on me than any of the others. The bloke getting pined to her was just bizarre more than frightning.
    Maybe i'm just desensitized at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

I think its a brilliant add. Its made me think. Shock tactics are the only way to get through to some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

what do you think of my new road safety sig..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

fits wrote:
    Its so graphic, I cant imagine what its like for survivors and affected families to watch it.

I feel myself that this particular ad has overstepped the mark.

Yeah it's hard to watch alrite, had me in bits for a while, but believe me it is infinitely worse to have to bury someone you love in the aftermath of a needless accident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I think its a great ad - shows that you dont have to be a driver to be in danger from dangerous driving..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I think the ad is great except - why are the accidents always caused by young people in these ads? I mean i'm sure there are many young people who cause accidents - but they are not the only ones. It seems to give older drivers the all clear as if they are never at fault.

I also am not sure that shocking adverts like these actually work. The irish independent have an article about why they don't work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Superb ad, especially the couple on the wall. Considering the EU report on our road fatalities we need more of them and more driver education for young drivers. Although the Indo has this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

axer wrote:
    I think the ad is great except - why are the accidents always caused by young people in these ads? I mean i'm sure there are many young people who cause accidents - but they are not the only ones. It seems to give older drivers the all clear as if they are never at fault.
    It's the truth EVERYTHING is young peoples fault - wiper snappers, "GET OUT OF MY GARDEN!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ando wrote:
    Shock tactics are the only way to get through to some people
    You would think so, wouldn't you?

But all these snuff-type ads do is desensitivise us.

Remember the previous ads - the one with the kid going through the window, the txter, and the one with the back seat passenger nutting his gf?

They were pretty strong stuff at the time, but after six months people didn't even give them a second glance. And they didn't actually improve the figures for deaths on the road much, did they?

After this current ad they'll have to show someone's head flying off and landing in a field if they want to keep increasing the shock factor.

I seriously don't think such ads make your average boy-racer think twice. I even think they may have the opposite effect for various reasons.

I also think they are pretty distressing to families who have had loved ones die in road accidents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I thought it was more funny than shocking.

No matter how many "shocking" ads they air it wont make the slightest bit of difference to all the speed demons and ultimately this country's road death statistics.

I have even forgotten it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

if it saves one life, its done well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

We need an ad where an aul fella pulls out without lookin, and a huge truck plows into him, and his dentures are in focus on the side of the road!

Brilliant! :D

Oh, the new ad is good, but it won't work. Better fines and huge penalties will! Hurt them where it WILL hurt! Their pockets! Percentage based on their income, so rich people will feel the pain too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

There is a road safety advert on UK tv where a car at a junction pulls out in front of a motorcycle. The motorcycle plows into the side of the car. That ad definitely made me more aware of looking for peds, cyclists, mcycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah seen this last night for the first time. Its very good and hopefully will have the affect intended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

didnt find it that shocking , though i do agree its time for an older person to crash in one of these ads.

personally feel that these ads only serves to feed the invulnerability some "older" drivers seem to think they have

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

We have various types of ads over the years designed to make us stop and think. Have they been effective ? No, not remotely.

If you showed an actual autopsy of a crash victim that would probably have even less effect on the culprits who persistently threaten the safety of others as they just don't or won't get the message.

Unless and until you can get the message across about attitude and road craft these ads are just a waste of time and money. Maybe they make some people think that they are actually doing something constructive about road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

At the end of the day its down to the individuals attitude on weather it will slow them down or not and personally its stuck in my head.

The thing is they have the immediate shock value but 1/2/3 weeks down the line will it still play on your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

axer wrote:
    I think the ad is great except - why are the accidents always caused by young people in these ads? I mean i'm sure there are many young people who cause accidents - but they are not the only ones.
    Indeed, but young males are hugely over-represented as drivers and victims in collisions.
    It seems to give older drivers the all clear as if they are never at fault.
    I imagine there will be two campaigns in the next few years, one targetting male drivers over 65 (the other high risk group) and pedestrians over 65.

Advertisement