Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling in Dublin - YouTube Video

Options
  • 28-04-2007 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

This video, filmed by a friend of mine, shows his ride from Clontarf to O'Connell Bridge.

Sorry, there's no snappy soundtrack, but no copyrights were harmed during the production.

Watch out for Ivor Callaly's banner on the pedestrian bridge in Fairview, he must have known there was going to be some filming that day!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭Ardent

"Hello!" - cyclist speak for "Get the &@$! out of my way!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

This video, filmed by a friend of mine, shows his ride from Clontarf to O'Connell Bridge.

Sorry, there's no snappy soundtrack, but no copyrights were harmed during the production.

Watch out for Ivor Callaly's banner on the pedestrian bridge in Fairview, he must have known there was going to be some filming that day!

I have to say that cycling in Dublin is the best form of transport. Especially on the nice mornings. I only got to watch about 3 mins of the video. The first pedestrian just sorta wandered into the path of the bike, and the second the same. They didn't seem to bat an eyelid to it either. I hate it when people walk in the cycleing tracks, it really gets on my nerves. I've only cycled around Dublin a hand full of times, but other than the pedestrains walking out in front of you I have no problem with it:rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I like the way he films himself breaking several laws, send it onto the Gardai.

Several cases of overtaking on the left when on cycle track at the start and then enters a junction on a red about half way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seems to be "tailgating" quite a bit too at the start, and overtaking on the pedestrian track a lot as already mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Also on the North Strand Road outside Marino College (Connolly House), he's not using the cycle lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    seems to be "tailgating" quite a bit too at the start
    On a bike, it's called 'drafting', and is to be encouraged!:D

Good to see a decent number of cyclists, though it does show that the cycle lanes are too narrow. I wouldn't have the patience to wait behind others on the cycle lane, and would probably take to the road.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I was expecting dozens of peds walking out in front of cyclist etc but that looked pretty stress free to me as a motorcylist. Even the scooter riders in the cycle lanes got clear before the cyclist go to them. If that's typical of cycling in the city then it ain't too bad. More cycle lanes should oviously be provided to reduce the dependence on road tracks and perhaps a campaign to tell peds to stay off cycle lanes but on the whole, not too bad. I'm guessing though that motorists just don't see cyclists, same as motorcyclists. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Del2005 wrote:

Several cases of overtaking on the left when on cycle track at the start and then enters a junction on a red about half way through.

Ahh sure, no harm done:rolleyes: .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Del2005 wrote:

Huh, is it even illegal to overtake on the left when in a cycle lane?

I mean that is actually the benefit of cycle lanes, being able to overtake all the traffic.

Surely this would also make it illegal for buses and taxis to overtake on the left when in the bus lane. Nope that makes no sense at all. I assume Bus lanes and cycle lanes are exempt for this law.

Yes he did go a little far out into the junction beyond the traffic lights, but nothing really serious.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bk wrote:
    Huh, is it even illegal to overtake on the left when in a cycle lane?

Just checked the revised rules of the road and it doesn't mention it either way, however it does mention the following:
    You may overtake on the left when:_
    Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly and traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the traffic in the right-hand lane.

While this is specifically for vehicles, surely it would also apply to a cyclist.

Taking care with cyclists

If you are at a junction where there is an advanced stop line for cyclists, you should allow cyclists to move off ahead of you.

When turning left, all drivers, especially drivers of heavy goods vehicles, must watch out for cyclists and motorcyclists going ahead or turning.

On left turns, watch out for cyclists and mopeds close to the kerb in front of you or coming up on your left. Do not overtake a cyclist as you approach a junction if you are turning left; the cyclist might be continuing straight ahead.

This would seem to imply that it isn't illegal for a cyclist to overtake on the left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Del2005 wrote:
    and then enters a junction on a red about half way through.
    Not so.I've been assured by my source that the lights had, in fact, changed to green when he entered that junction. He is seen stopping at the red and the handlbars holding the camera pan to a resting position.
    Also on the North Strand Road outside Marino College (Connolly House), he's not using the cycle lane.
    That's because there isn't one. There used to be a cycle lane there but it was closed, for road works, two years ago by the city council & the signs removed. I think that it's waiting to be re-certified at present. Some cyclists ride on the path where it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

That's because there isn't one. There used to be a cycle lane there but it was closed, for road works, two years ago by the city council & the signs removed. I think that it's waiting to be re-certified at present. Some cyclists ride on the path where it used to be.

Is the cycle path through Fairview Park not open at the moment? It may be handier for some bike users to use

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Hamndegger wrote:
    Is the cycle path through Fairview Park not open at the moment? It may be handier for some bike users to use

Nope, they're still getting the park sorted out after the Dublin port tunnel. It's handy for the going down to the docks / East Link, but not this cyclists route.

Great to see part of my commute on the bike, nice to see it and not having to be pedaling hard!

A.

Del2005 wrote:
    films himself breaking several laws, send it onto the Gardai.
    You have yet to correctly identify one law broken in the video. It should be noted that it's perfectly normal for Irish traffic lights to change immediately to green after being red for some time. This may explain my friend's movement into the junction shortly after he had stopped at the red light.

But let me give you a few hints: The car seen overtaking in the first section was breaking the overtaking law. The footbridge had an illegal advertisement by Ivor (VeloCity 2005) Callaly.The cycle track from Clontarf to the footbridge is not preceded by the requisite RUS009 road sign. The motorcyclist overtook my friend, in the bus lane, then entered a cycle lane bounded by road marking RRM022 before sounding his horn rather aggressively at the pedestrians who were crossing the road. There were also a number of five-axle trucks in a prohibited zone. I think there were a few cars in box junctions?

Anyone see anything else?

You have yet to correctly identify one law broken in the video. It should be noted that it's perfectly normal for Irish traffic lights to change immediately to green after being red for some time. This may explain my friend's movement into the junction shortly after he had stopped at the red light.

But let me give you a few hints: The car seen overtaking in the first section was breaking the overtaking law. The footbridge had an illegal advertisement by Ivor (VeloCity 2005) Callaly.The cycle track from Clontarf to the footbridge is not preceded by the requisite RUS009 road sign. The motorcyclist overtook my friend, in the bus lane, then entered a cycle lane bounded by road marking RRM022 before sounding his horn rather aggressively at the pedestrians who were crossing the road. There were also a number of five-axle trucks in a prohibited zone. I think there were a few cars in box junctions?

Anyone see anything else?

I note you never seen any of his illegal moves. And if you haven't then that shows how blind you are. Remember that the rules of the road apply to all road users and not just cars,buses,trucks and motorbikes. Cycle lanes are still part of the road but are reserved for bikes only. 5 axle trucks are still allowed into the city, did you never hear of permits.

I didn't point out any of the motorist illegal moves as I knew they would all be spotted!

I'll give you a hint, watch again between 40sec and 1:26. I see a 4 illegal moves there and 2 legal. He also tailgates a bus. I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the junction with the red light. But the light appears red as he passes it and enters the junction, stops and then starts again. There may be a bike stop line there, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Watching the video feels quite calustrophobic - the camera is much lower than head height and gives a distorted view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

That looks like a grand ride!! Your mate is well lucky to have a cycle lane most of the way.

Try cycling from Pearse St Dart to the Garda station - there are potholes 6 inches deep and the size of a suitcase in the bus/bike lane!

It's great to see lots of people cycling. I know that your friend is pretty fast on the bike, but it shows that you can get from Clontarf Road to O'Connell bridge in ten minutes just before nine o' clock. Ya couldn't do that on any other form of transport! Go on the two wheels!

Del2005 wrote:
    I'll give you a hint, watch again between 40sec and 1:26.
    Overtaking slow-moving traffic on the left? That's permitted. Momentarily leaving the area reserved for cyclists on a joint-use footway and cycleway? That's not illegal.
    Del2005 wrote:
    He also tailgates a bus.
    No he does not, he allowed the bus to pull away from the traffic lights and only draws close again when it slowed down. Mostly he's more than a car's length from it, you can even hear him stopping pedaling as the bus slows down.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Del2005 wrote:
    I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the junction with the red light. But the light appears red as he passes it and enters the junction, stops and then starts again. There may be a bike stop line there, I don't know.
    He stops at the light at 4:50, and when he goes again, you'll notice the cars on the opposite side of the road also going, thus its most likely the lights went green.

/edit
    At 7:08, looks like he broke that red light. Also, at 7:34, looks like he broke another red light.

Del2005 wrote:
    I'll give you a hint, watch again between 40sec and 1:26. I see a 4 illegal moves there and 2 legal.

ROFLOL, I'm sorry but you are seriously deluded if you think anything he did there is against the law.

At 40sec he overtakes another cyclist on the left hand side, while in a cycle lane. This isn't illegal, please point out in the Road Traffic Act where it says anything about a cyclist overtaking another cyclist while in a cycle lane.

At 1:26 he overtakes to the right so that isn't even an issue.

I'm sorry but you are badly misinformed about what is and isn't illegal.

The only dodgy stuff he does is near the end of the video where he weaves in and out of stationary traffic. Your not really supposed to do that, but realistically in the city center it is impossible not to do it and no Garda would ever pull you over for doing it.
    Del2005 wrote:
    He also tailgates a bus.

Not illegal and he also isn't really tailgating as such.

Actually what he is doing is the sensible thing. When he first encounters the bus (2:48) there is actually a cycle lane on the inside, which would have been perfectly legal for him to overtake the bus in. Whoever instead he does and sensible and safe thing and instead stays behind the bus. As you will see 2 seconds later it was the right decision as the bus drifts right into the cycle lane where he would have legally been.

All good cyclists are very aware of the blind spot at the sides of all vehicles and cyclists are particularly wary of Buses and trucks and usually carefully cycle behind them instead of next to them, absolutely nothing wrong with what he did here.

You are basically nit picking looking to reinforce your obvious bias that cyclists constantly break the law.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote:
    At :078, looks like he broke that red light. Also, at 7:34, looks like he broke another red light.
    My friend does not ride through red lights. Nor apparently did any of the other cyclists. In both cases the lights were red as he approached and then changed to green. You can hear cars and motorbikes starting to move at the same time.
    bk wrote:
    The only dodgy stuff he does is near the end of the video where he weaves in and out of stationary traffic.
    Nope that was legitimate too. That's on Burgh quay, where a box junction is provided to allow cyclists who are going straight over O'Connell to cross over from the left-turning lane into the straaght-on lane. The only bit of weaving was where he had to go around an illegally parked car in the cycle lane outside the immigration office.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

edanto wrote:
    That looks like a grand ride!! Your mate is well lucky to have a cycle lane most of the way.

Yeah I used to love cycling into the city centre and various places in the south side when I lived in Fairview.

Is he even obliged to? You're only legally obliged to use some cycle lanes. You'd be suicidal to use many of them.

Going on memory (the video's not high res enough for me to see), around 4:30, the cycle lane momentarily brings you onto a busy footpath that's frequented by mothers and small children before bringing you back onto the road again. It would be dangerous for everyone to use that section. From what I remember also, around 5:45 the cycle lane drifts out into the middle of a particularly congested and nasty stretch of the road then stops abruptly leaving you for dead. Someone was feeling in the mood for a sick joke when they designed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

PS: I don't think he broke any red lights in that video. At all the times mentioned, you can't actually see the light when he starts to move, but I did hear the sound of cars taking off, which I took as the cars behind him beginning to move in response to a green light.

bk wrote:
    ROFLOL, I'm sorry but you are seriously deluded if you think anything he did there is against the law.

At 40sec he overtakes another cyclist on the left hand side, while in a cycle lane. This isn't illegal, please point out in the Road Traffic Act where it says anything about a cyclist overtaking another cyclist while in a cycle lane.

At 1:26 he overtakes to the right so that isn't even an issue.

I'm sorry but you are badly misinformed about what is and isn't illegal.

When apart from when there are 2 lanes of slow moving traffic is it legal to over take on the left? You show me where it says that cyclists done have to obey the rules of the road and then I'll let him away with his 4 left overtakes. The rules of the road apply to all parts of the road not just the part that cars drive on.

Del2005 wrote:
    When apart from when there are 2 lanes of slow moving traffic is it legal to over take on the left? You show me where it says that cyclists done have to obey the rules of the road and then I'll let him away with his 4 left overtakes. The rules of the road apply to all parts of the road not just the part that cars drive on.

Except for the fact that a cycle path in the middle of a footpath isn't on the road. Or are you now going to claim that pedestrians can't overtake other pedestrians on the left hand side while on a footpath, ROFLOL

Look the road traffic act specifically mentions the rules applying to motorised vehicles. A bicycle isn't a motorised vehicle, that is why your not required to have a license to cycle a bike on the road. While a cyclist is obliged to observe the rules of the road while cycling, the rules for cyclists are actually quiet different from motorised vehicles.

For instance cyclists where ever possible are supposed to keep left, while cars are supposed to use the center of the road.

Laws are supposed to make sense and the law of the road are there for your safety. However a law banning a cyclists overtaking another cyclist on the left hand side is a ridiculous idea that makes absolutely no sense at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

here is the current cycling regulations. Study the definitions of a cycle track and a vehicle and also re overtaking etc etc etc

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI182Y1997.html#ZZSI182Y1997A14

Del2005 wrote:
    When apart from when there are 2 lanes of slow moving traffic is it legal to over take on the left?
    Cyclists are permitted to cycle two abreast in the same lane.

Advertisement