Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop AC power not working

Options
  • 27-04-2007 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

My sister was using my laptop a little while ago and she didn't realise that it was plugged in to the main. Anyway apparently she stood up and the power cable was wrapped around something or other and she tripped up and the power cable flew out of the laptop and it turned off even though the battery was in and charged.

Well the laptop works but it won`t run on AC power. The bit of the lead that goes into the laptop is a bit bent and where it goes into the back of the laptop is all loose now and even if you get it in it does nothing.

So does anyone know if I`m screwed? i think it is the power unit at the back of the laptop that is broken and not just the lead. Could this be fixed? Anybody any idea how much?

Its a Dell Inspiron 6000 and its out of warranty.

Any help would be great. Bloody sisters!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

It sounds like the power jack is broken (off). And nope, it would probably require a new mainboard to fix it. That could cost alot.

But! I am pretty newb at this stuff so someone else will probably be better to listen to:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

It may be fixable, open you laptop and take a pic of the damage and post it here so we can have a look at the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Thanks for the reply. It certainly sounds like I`m screwed. Auvers, cheers mate but I wouldn`t be at all confident about opening up my laptop without further damaging it. I think its a trip to PC World or somewhere tomorrow to see what teh damage is. nuts!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

A very similar thing happened to me only last week. Part of the power input broke when I tripped over the wire and it flew out. Anyway it wouldn't charge after that so I left it in to a local computer repair place, cost EUr95 to replace the power input and the end on the cable.

-J

Jacob55 wrote:
    A very similar thing happened to me only last week. Part of the power input broke when I tripped over the wire and it flew out. Anyway it wouldn't charge after that so I left it in to a local computer repair place, cost EUr95 to replace the power input and the end on the cable.

-J

So was it the cable that you got fixed or the actual laptop? I brought mine up to PC World today and they tested the adapter and cable and said that it was working fine. They said that therefore it was the laptop and since the power input at the back of the laptop was broken the computer would need a whole new motherboard which would cost alot :(

So I`m pretty much resigned to having to get a new laptop and I just hope our home insurance covers some of the cost.

Jacob, if it was the power unit in the laptop that you got fixed, what shop was it that you went to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Jacob55

Hi, I could see that the place where the cable goes in at the back of the laptop looked broken and dodgy after the wire flew out, also as I said it wouldn't charge and the cable didnt fit in snugly as it had before.

In the end, they replaced the power input in the actual laptop and they also had to repalce the end of the power cable to fit the new power input thingy which they fitted.

I left it in with laser computers link
    probably no harm to give them a ring or drop in, they were very helpful.

Cheers Jacob. I`ll drive over to Laser on Monday and see what the story is! Here's hoping...!

Advertisement