Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSOD when connecting USB device to Toshiba laptop

Options
  • 27-04-2007 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need some help here. I've got a Toshiba Satellite L20-173 (1.4Ghz, 60Gb Harddrive, 1Gb RAM) that I'm having some problems with.

When I connect a USB device I'm getting the blue screen of death :eek: and then the laptop shuts down. The device begins to work properly then about 5 seconds later I get a blue screen. I had this with several devices used USB.
    These were:
    Sony DSCW55 Camera
    Sony Ericsson K610i
    Verbatim Store 'n Go USB drive.

Its very annoying :mad:

Any idea's on the problem and possible solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Uninstall / reinstall the usb hub drivers under Device Manager (if you know how to do that) other wise check Toshiba website for an updated Chipset driver (ie.Intel,VIA etc).
    We had a customer with a Dell desktop machine with very similar problems,arrange on her behalf the Dell Technician to callout,he ended up replacing the motherboard after an hour + trying to fix it ...we all thought it had to be a driver issue but apparently not...
    Hopefully yours is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

i tired reinstalling/uninstalling the usn hub drivers but no luck, its still crashing. i also tried updating the chipset driver and its saying that i dont have an intel chipset....strange.

i'm hoping the motherboard doesnt have to be replaced. the laptop is only about 14 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I recall reading an article about this problem with Toshiba laptops a few weeks ago. This problem is widespread with Vista, IIRC.

I had a bad experience with a hub before. Caused some odd behaviour, including freezing. Worth trying a different one.

its not an external hub thats the problem, its the usb ports on the laptop.

ok so i rang toshiba, got thru to a nice guy in the UK. the service center is gonna give me a call back on tues/wed to arrange for collection. apparently the chipset should be updated but its not allowing me to do so. (as i said above)
    he start talking about something being corrupt. me=confused. :o

according to them my warranty is still active, as far as i know its not :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement