Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who polices the police?!

Options
  • 27-04-2007 5:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd post this pic I took in Blackrock last week.

pic.jpg

Notice the abundance of other spaces...
    (BTW that's just a shopper on the left - no Gardai were in sight).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Just thought I'd post this pic I took in Blackrock last week.

pic.jpg

Notice the abundance of other spaces...
    (BTW that's just a shopper on the left - no Gardai were in sight).

Private clampers have no authority to restrain an emergency PSV. They can be charged with obstruction.

Sad to see gardaí breaking the rules, but they have to sometimes. Did you know how long it was there? Were the gardaí in there a good while? How do you know there were that many spaces when they first arrived?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

if i remember correctly there was a similar post, a pic from outside the IFSC if i remember, about exactly the same subject. post was debated and i think it was concluded that if they were in a rush eg 999 call and they had to act quickly it was ok for a short period of time and if it was for anything else then not obviously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Don't suppose that was just outside the McDonalds in Blackrock? ;):D

Am sure we'll be told it was an emergency. I'll remain doubtful
    unless someone posts a pic of them returning to the car with some
    bloke on cuffs.

(Looking at the photo I think McDs is in the other centre across the road)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Am sure we'll be told it was an emergency. I'll remain doubtful
    unless someone posts a pic of them returning to the car with some
    bloke on cuffs.
    Exactly... a dinner emergency more like.
    I don't particularly care - it was just a good photo op.

(Looking at the photo I think McDs is in the other centre across the road)
    Aye, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Maybe they should have sat in traffic going to an emergency as well, its possible that they were called to an emergency to the place. How about you send that email to the Department of Justice and ask why they parked there and wait for a reply before you go presuming things. I know if I wanted the Gardai for anything I would not care where they parked or how they got to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

NBar wrote:
    How about you send that email to the Department of Justice and ask why they parked there and wait for a reply before you go presuming things.
    The new independant Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission is about to open for business any day now. They will act as the central agency for complaints about the Guards and will replace the current current dual track system for complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The new independant Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission is about to open for business any day now. They will act as the central agency for complaints about the Guards and will replace the current current dual track system for complaints.
    Send it in and see what they say!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,703 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

All police forces can park wherever and whenever they like while on duty. It need not be an emergency either. Once we're on official police business and we can justify doing so, we can occupy the last bay reserved for disabled people if needs be.

There are a bunch of human rights reasons behind this as well, but I don't suppose anyone would even consider that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

psni wrote:
    All police forces can park wherever and whenever they like while on duty. It need not be an emergency either. Once we're on official police business and we can justify doing so, we can occupy the last bay reserved for disabled people if needs be.

There are a bunch of human rights reasons behind this as well, but I don't suppose anyone would even consider that.
    WHat human rights reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Obviously a disabled Garda.;) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Does it cover mental handicaps, then?

(Sorry, I'm a bit annoyed after an encounter with a power-tripping garda last night)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,218 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

psni wrote:
    All police forces can park wherever and whenever they like while on duty.
    So what? Just because legally they can do something doesn't mean that they should, except where the circumstances justify it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement