Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dexys Midnight Runners

Options
  • 27-04-2007 1:03pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know their stuff apart from Come on....

Discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I think the first album is fantastic, searching for the young soul rebels. Don't really like anything else by them though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Yes.
    Firstly, with Come On Eileen, don't let the amount of times it's been danced to at a wedding/party etc. diminish the fact that it is a fabulous song.

Their first album is indeed fantastic. A lot more soul, with great use of the brass section. Geno was the big hit from the album. A couple more singles followed, then the second album, with it's new sound (and line-up), and hit single(s).

The third album was a completly different cup of tea. No 'Come on Eileen' follow up, no singles released, slated by the press at the time. This is by far my favourite of the three. An album everyone should listen to.

The best of should give anyone a good introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

oh aye - 'searching for the young soul rebels' is a fine album...'Tell me when my light turns green', alone, is worth the price of admission...

what *was* the third album called...i mean, i could google'n'all, but...:D

sadly, kevin rowland seems to have gone a bit funny; not too up to speed with him now, but certainly cross dressing in 1999 and releasing his covers album including Thunder Road and the Greatest Love of All had, i'm sure, plenty of soul loving Brummies wonder what the hell went wrong...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Too Rye Aye is one of my all time favourite albums. I love it. I haven't gotten around to any of their other albums simply as i love this one so much but i'm off to listen to some now. Gald to see thie thread wasn't instantly hammered. I think Dexys are one of the most under rated bands there has been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ilovehoovering

i bought their most recent 'best of' a few years ago (just after they played Vicar Street) and was blown away by it. i had no idea what they were about apart from 'come on eileen'. picked up 'the projected passion revue' recently too and it's great. "PLAN B!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

They're one of my favourite bands ever.

Third LP, Don't Stand Me Down would make my alltime Top 10. AMAZING.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

All in All in this one last wild waltz is probably one of my favourite songs. I love how the lyrics are quite bitter and dark.

Advertisement