Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screen problem - powers down laptop

Options
  • 27-04-2007 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an Acer aspire 5650 bought last August.

Things were running pretty fine until now. I had a minor niggle whereby the screen would cut out sometimes if the laptop was running off battery and left inactive (sort of like a screen saver I couldn't recover from) but I could just put it into hibernation and back out and it was fine.

Now, however, there's a far more serious problem. I'm using the laptop right now, and it's fine. However, were I to tilt the screen forward or back by a few degrees, the laptop would just turn off (completely power down, not just hibernate). Throughout the whole 180 degree range of angles the screen has, there's only a few points that will actually allow the laptop to function. Furthermore, if the laptop is off and charging, there are, again, only a few points at which I can position the screen to allow it to charge, otherwise, nothing.

Any ideas on what the problem might be would be greatly appreciated. I'd hope to be able to get it sorted as quickly and easily as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Just where the screen closes is a little switch that will put your computer into suspend/shut down depending on how you have it set up. Go to Start=>Settings=>Control Panel and into power options.

In here change the settings to your preferences i.e. how much inactivity it takes before your screen goes off. Also in these options it allows you to decide what happens when you close the screen. Change this to do nothing and you should be okay.

/edit Just reread a part of your post.. You say if the laptop screen is pushed back it turns off too. Might be a dodgy connection. Try the above first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Nah it's definitely nothing to do with settings, since the laptop just instantly turns off. It happened again there a few minutes ago when I moved the laptop slightly, and I heard what sounded like something tripping inside the laptop, or a current discharge.

I figure it must be, like you said, a faulty connexion. Anyone know if this is easily solved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I've played around with it a bit more, and I've got the prolem a bit more concise.

Basically, when I tilt the screen away from me, the laptop ceases to function, but when I pull it back towards me again, it's fine again.

So I guess that means there's definitely a connexion somewhere that gets broken when the screen is titled back, but reconnected if it tilts forward. What I'm wondering now is why this would effect the whole laptop and turn it off, rather than just turning the screen off or something?

Also, if anyone has some knowledge of laptop hardware, could they tell me if it's a routine problem that could be fixed by bringing it in to a repairs shop, or one of those horrible, motherboard-replacement problems?

Thanks

Advertisement