Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable words etc

Options
  • 25-04-2007 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    This discussion came up in another thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53132274#post53132274

and before we went off topic completly I thought it best to start another thread.

I wasn't allowed to refer to an argument as being pathetic even though I thought it was, this was on the Christiantiy forum and was banned.
    This forum seems to be a lot looser on what sort of language and behaviour is acceptable.
    PDN made a good point that he saw people calling other people knob-ends and it is something he wouldn't agree with as it insulting the person not the argument. I would agree with PDN here. I am hoping PDN stays around the atheists forum and contributes to the debates as it certainly makes them challenging having an alternative view especially someone who is well read etc.

Now, before the mess that happened in the Christianity forum, could the moderators please clarify what sort of language is acceptable here in reference to an argument and in reference to another person.

Note if you do a search in boards.ie for the word pathetic you get over 300 hits, I haven't examined each usage but suffice to say I was possibly not the first person to refer to an argument or point pathetic.

Please feel free to call my post here pathetic and say why you think so.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Are you looking for a list of words that are and aren't acceptable?

Before someone labours over such a task I would suggest:

A) Pay close attention to the mod when they warn you about you use of inappropriate language;
    B) Use common sense. It is actually possible to be simultaneously firm in your belief and courteous.

In the initial thread (you didn't link to it, btw) I thought that you had fair warning. You could have easily have chosen a different word to use or simply moved beyond it, but then the thread spiralled into an argument. The second thread you started - now deleted - was pure provocation. Possibly that second post is why you got the ban.

Ah well, badge of honour and all that... :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Common sense will dictate what you post Tim.
    You don't need to be rude to destroy someones argument, in fact, I find that the polite way of destroying an argument is always more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Beruthiel wrote:
    Common sense will dictate what you post Tim.
    You don't need to be rude to destroy someones argument, in fact, I find that the polite way of destroying an argument is always more effective.

Fanny here is a link:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055080846&page=5

Beruthiel, there is no common sense here, clearly the Christian mods think it is ok for a Christian to make patronizing remarks in the context of a debate (which was about history of the reformation not even about faith) to an atheist and it is not ok for the atheist to stand up for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

... there is no common sense here, clearly the Christian mods think it is ok for a Christian to make patronizing remarks in the context of a debate (which was about history of the reformation not even about faith) to an atheist and it is not ok for the atheist to stand up for themselves.
    Tim, a couple of points
    This Christian mod is an Atheist/Buddhist so there is no favoritism taking place.
    It has been explained to you already that "Pathetic" can not be applied to an argument, it applies by default to the poster.
    You were not banned because you used the word Pathetic, but because you would not let the issue go. You were warned many times and you chose to continue with your argument in another thread which was provocative.
    All it takes is a little common sense to know what you can say. You are really wasting your time going over the 300 instances of Pathetic that you have found. It will not change anything, you were rude, you were warned, you disregarded the warning, and you got banned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's all in the context. If you find yourself arguing against pathetic arguments, I suggest you politely explain your feelings of futility and discontinue.

As for calling someone a knob-end that would normally warrant a warning, unless it was between two posters who have an implied understanding that it not really mean to be taken personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hi,
    This discussion came up in another thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53132274#post53132274

and before we went off topic completly I thought it best to start another thread.

I wasn't allowed to refer to an argument as being pathetic even though I thought it was, this was on the Christiantiy forum and was banned.
    This forum seems to be a lot looser on what sort of language and behaviour is acceptable.
    PDN made a good point that he saw people calling other people knob-ends and it is something he wouldn't agree with as it insulting the person not the argument. I would agree with PDN here. I am hoping PDN stays around the atheists forum and contributes to the debates as it certainly makes them challenging having an alternative view especially someone who is well read etc.

Now, before the mess that happened in the Christianity forum, could the moderators please clarify what sort of language is acceptable here in reference to an argument and in reference to another person.

Note if you do a search in boards.ie for the word pathetic you get over 300 hits, I haven't examined each usage but suffice to say I was possibly not the first person to refer to an argument or point pathetic.

Please feel free to call my post here pathetic and say why you think so.

tim your were asking for it!

tim your were asking for it!
    Yes, I would agree you are not supposed to ask too many questions there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

As for calling someone a knob-end that would normally warrant a warning, unless it was between two posters who have an implied understanding that it not really mean to be taken personally.
    Isn't this it, at the end of the day. There's nothing inherently wrong with 'pathetic', and a post could be personnally offensive without using any words that might be deemed individually to be dodgy.

It just requires personal judgement, and that means we're all knob-ends at times. The moderation in the Christianity forum is remarkably open, when you consider what gets posted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You have garnered little or no (I would say no) support throughout your 3 posts - especially the deleted one. That fact should tell you something about your behaviour. Continuing to obsess on the matter does you no favours. Mercy me, just let it go. Head out at the weekend, have a couple of pints and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

You appear to be actively seeking confrontation rather than any sort of discussion and your attitude is generally poor. Any posts of yours on christianity that I've read have been dreadfully immature.

BrianCalgary strikes me as an excellent mod which I also find weird given that he's a crazy christian.

• Advertisement

DapperGent wrote:
    You appear to be actively seeking confrontation rather than any sort of discussion and your attitude is generally poor. Any posts of yours on christianity that I've read have been dreadfully immature.

BrianCalgary strikes me as an excellent mod which I also find weird given that he's a crazy christian.
    You call me my posts immature and Brian a crazy Christian. Fine. What is it though, everybody allowed to be critical except for Tim Robbins?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Yeah you're totally being singled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

eeyore.jpg
    Woe is you.

DapperGent wrote:
    Yeah you're totally being singled out.

I've missed your little rays of sunshine, you don't post enough anymore! :)

Beruthiel wrote:
    I've missed your little rays of sunshine, you don't post enough anymore! :)
    Please do not hijack this thread, create a separate one or else PM each other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

DapperGent wrote:

I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks for the laugh. :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You call me my posts immature and Brian a crazy Christian. Fine. What is it though, everybody allowed to be critical except for Tim Robbins?

You can be critical but being confrontational is rather unhelpful

The Christians on the forum don't have to discuss this stuff with you. If you want them to it helps to listen to what they consider to be unacceptable language or tone

There isn't a whole lot of point in posts that no one reads or wishes to respond to. If your tone turns away Christians from debating your posts then what exactly is the point?

Again, accept JC .. you can insult him all you like

Please do not hijack this thread, create a separate one or else PM each other :)

In fairness, I'm not even sure why this thread is here at all as you've already got another one going in the Feedback forum.

I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks for the laugh. :D:D
    Good! That means now I don't have to agonise over a modly response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Good! That means now I don't have to agonise over a modly response.
    Damn, you escaped again. I'll get you yet:)

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    In fairness, I'm not even sure why this thread is here at all as you've already got another one going in the Feedback forum.
    Accepted. Mods - close or delete this thread if you wish.

Well, I don't think anyone else needs to get a word in, so I might as well lock it up.

Though I'd imagine it's farewell, but not goodbye to this topic. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement