Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window tints and driving test

Options
  • 25-04-2007 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

I know the law now doesnt allow the passenger and driver side windows to be tinted,

Mine are currently,

Just wondering if this will cause any issues on the day of the test,

Like not being allowed to do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

If it doesn't, it should.

Seriously...you can paraphrase your post to say :

"I currently drive an illegal vehicle. Is this a problem for sitting the test"

Its a problem, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

WellyJ wrote:
    I know the law now doesnt allow the passenger and driver side windows to be tinted
    Depends on the tint. All new cars for many years have had tinted windows.

Presumably you are referring to blacked out windows?
    bonkey wrote:
    Seriously...you can paraphrase your post to say :

"I currently drive an illegal vehicle"
    It may be more appropriate to say "an illegal modification". (It may not even be illegal anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

It depends on the severity of the tint, and on the whim of the examiner. Some examiners will stand at (say) the passenger door and look through the glass to see if he/she can see through to the far side of the car.

You are taking a chance of being refused out. There is no definitive rule. I would advise that you do not risk it - get another car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Interesting I've seen those boyracers with tinted windows. So when they're seen by a Gardai, (sometime anyway) what is the punishment exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Chakar wrote:
    Interesting I've seen those boyracers with tinted windows. So when they're seen by a Gardai, (sometime anyway) what is the punishment exactly?

should be "IF" they're seen by a Gardai

and the answer would be probably nothing as they are not likely to ever be stopped and checked - like for eveything else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There's not nearly enough Gardaí to be stopping people for every little thing (like blacked out windows). Whilst it's not the height the safety, there are more important things that the Gardaí should be concentrating on -- like drink driving, and speeding!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

DaveMcG wrote:
    There's not nearly enough Gardaí to be stopping people for every little thing (like blacked out windows). Whilst it's not the height the safety, there are more important things that the Gardaí should be concentrating on -- like drink driving, and speeding!!!

If the law is not going to be enforced, then the law should be dropped from the books.

No, if the law can't realistically be enforced due to lack of resources, then more resources are needed. When we get the Gardai we so sorely need, then we can start tackling things like tinted windows (assuming they're illegal -- anyone got a link for it?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the law is there to stop most people commiting the crime, as said, the gards dont have enough resources toenforce it, but they might pull it out if needed!!i.e, if they really wanted a reason to take a boy racers car off the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Eh...

Whats with the boy racer conclusion?

Blackened windows deter thieves and keep the inside of the car nice and cool

I am far from a "boy racer"

• Advertisement

That's true. My mam is getting tinted windows on her new car, lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

well my test is next week... and my windows are tinted....

but, they come as standard!! so there shouldnt be a problem should there??? :confused:

well can anyone help me?? my test is the day after tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

I think the law only applies to any after market modification

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

ec18 wrote:
    I think the law only applies to any after market modification

It depends on the darkness of the tint,

Call your local station and ask them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

http://tinyurl.com/yv3vo2

Look here for EU Regulations on window tints. Its the fourth link down. Download the pdf which lists the regs for each country and Ireland is not on the list. Print it out and bring it with you for the test.

thanks a million!! :D

the tester said nothing about the windows though..

Advertisement