Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop really noisy

Options
  • 25-04-2007 2:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

My laptop is really starting to wreak my head :mad:

Its so noisy, i think its the fan right? lol

What can i do to fix this?

Cheers n please help me :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What is the make/model of the laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Packard Bell not sure of the mod number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

"CAREFULLY" open the laptop (remove battery first) and blow all the dust out (don't spit!!!).
    Loads of dust gets sucked into a laptop.

Sounds daunting to open but it's pretty easy, just be very careful and take your time - Use a smallish philips screwdriver so it doesnt look like a baboon has had a go at it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

k il try that cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Buy a can of compressed air at your local Maplin or Comp. Store, spray it into the fan vents on the back or side of the laptop unit.
    This will clear out the dust but generally a loud laptop fan is caused by the ball bearings wearing inside the fan itself and theres not really much that can be done simply to fix it.It could be repalced but its a bit of a pain in the ass...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I've had this problem also. It turned out to be the fan was running constantly because of the dust inside it. The fan was constantly trying to cool everything. Removal on all dust etc. solved the problem. The fan only then comes on occasionally when it starts to overheat. I'd say if you leave it longer the laptop will soon start to power off due to insufficient heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

kikel wrote:
    insufficient heating.
    ???????
    sure you don't mean insufficent cooling?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

*mono* wrote:
    ???????
    sure you don't mean insufficent cooling?

D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

kikel wrote:
    I've had this problem also. It turned out to be the fan was running constantly because of the dust inside it. The fan was constantly trying to cool everything. Removal on all dust etc. solved the problem. The fan only then comes on occasionally when it starts to overheat. I'd say if you leave it longer the laptop will soon start to power off due to insufficient coolimg.

this has been happening to my laptop for a while now, the powering off cause of overheating. I havent cleaned the fan at all, hence the reason. If I clean the fan now will this stop or would long term damage have been caused?

Advertisement