Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Paints

Options
  • 24-04-2007 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Just saw them on the main gamesworkshop website.
    Are they really necessary? To me they just look like the same paints as before and are more a money thing for games workshop than anything else but Im probably wrong.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

Daknight wrote:
    Just saw them on the main gamesworkshop website.
    Are they really necessary? To me they just look like the same paints as before and are more a money thing for games workshop than anything else but Im probably wrong.....

Don't know if they're necessary, but they will make your life a lot easier if you a have a large batch of models to paint!
    The normal citadel acrylics are fine, it's just that you nearly always need to apply more than one coat (several coats with lighter colours), which can be very time consuming when army-painting. The fact that I always undercoat with black does'nt help this!

I might get a couple of the foundation paints in brighter colours like red and yellow. But I won't be forking out for the whole range!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Daknight

ah cool,sounds like a good thing but the only thing is that the undercoat usually gives the colour style of the guy your painting(i.e. undercoat of black gives the guy a dark kinda look) so would foundation paints not just take that away??

It probably would. But foundation paints are probably aimed at people who want bright, clean colours on their models.

Personally, I don't like the dark effect produced by black priming. I like to let the black primer show through on certain details like chainmail and armour, but I like the colours to be pretty rich and bright. So, like I said, I usually end up putting on several thin coats.

Don't think I'll be buying much foundation paint though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I saw a demo of them in the shop, and they do look handy. I'm thinking I may get some, but no particular hurry on it.

i might get one and see how it goes but that wont be for a while,dont even have any guys to paint :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

a big meh from me, GW are trying to catch up with Vallejo & P3 paints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

I actually picked myself up a set of these at the weekend, and I have to say I'm very pleased with them. The yellows, and reds have fantastic coverage even when well watered down, which was my main reason for getting them. Also I've heard good things about using them with air brushes, which I hope to try out in the near future.

I've never had a chance to try out Vallejo & P3 paints, I haven't found anywhere that carries them in Ireland and the idea of having to order all paints off the net doesn't appeal to me

What are p3 & vallejo paints?

Vallejo Paints are available in Ireland through a company called
    Prince August. They actually make moulds for casting your
    own metal figures.

http://www.princeaugust.ie

Unfortunatley you would still have to order online, but the shipping would be cheaper and they are doing deals at the moment on the paint.

They also have a list of retailers on the site. They have a shop in
    Waterford listed as a main stockist for Vallejo.

THE HOBBY SHOP
    THE QUAY
    WATERFORD
    IRELAND
    051-852227

Don't know where you're located, but hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I'm pretty sure one of the game shops in Dublin carries the Vallejo paints. I've not tried them though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭decdoc

I'm pretty sure one of the game shops in Dublin carries the Vallejo paints. I've not tried them though.

actually now that you say it, I think I may have seen them in the Model shop in capel street in town, but they where missing loads of the range, so I didn't bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

you can get both paints in 4th dimension on crow street in temple bar.

i havent tried the P3 ones, as they are newish to the market, but a friend of mine swears by them. I use vallejo myself & find them fantastic campared to the gw paints

Advertisement