Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell laptop screen going blank

Options
  • 24-04-2007 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

Any one know what's causing this (and no not a screen saver..). I have an Inspiron 630m. It has only happen about 3 times in the past year, once when doing a rather inportant assignment :( Even if i leave my laptop for hours the screen never reappears.. The screen is on but it's just completely black.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Could be a faulty cable connection from the motherboard to the screen!!
    Not too sure though tbh but also could be a case of the power saving settings!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you any of the power saver settings turned on (like turn off monitor after x minutes) as jonny24ie mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Redegg

Erm, yea I was thinking it's a loose connection alright. Great. Looks like I'll be ringing Dell again...... ugh! Most frustrating phone calls I have ever made.

"How was your weekend bla bla"...

lol

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

This happened to my dell laptop let last year and screen would come on and then switch off shortly afterwards.

The button that turns the screen off when you close the lid. There was a problem with that and they said it would require a new motherboard.

So that was the end of that laptop.

If you connect it up to a monitor it should work fine

Trampas wrote:
    This happened to my dell laptop let last year and screen would come on and then switch off shortly afterwards.

The button that turns the screen off when you close the lid. There was a problem with that and they said it would require a new motherboard.

So that was the end of that laptop.

If you connect it up to a monitor it should work fine

What a nice reassuring post. Yea I checked power saver options. Surely these only activate when the computer is left idle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

you may also need to update the video driver,

i had a problem with latitude c400's that was very similar, video driver update fixed it.

Great stuff. Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

Redegg wrote:
    Great stuff. Thanks for all the replies.

Hey redegg, it sounds like it's down to a poor connection between the motherboard and monitor, or there is a chance the driver is acting up either, though this is unlikely. Verify by going into power management that you don't have it set to ever go off. Also you could try looking for the latest video driver, presumably your dell came with an nVidia or ATI card, so their sites will have updated versions of them presumably.

Advertisement