Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolator

Options
  • 24-04-2007 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭

I am having a bit of trouble with my battery at present. I thought it was the alternator but now I think it is that the batteries for running the interior lights etc. are taking a feed off the engine battery. There is a switch which, to my flaky German, seems to take the service battery power from the engine battery but the switch seems to be broken and keeps returning to a similar position.

I was advised by a mechanic to buy an isolator and fit it onto the battery so that the engine battery will not give any power out when this key is turned.

I have bought one off ebay and they state that they are for caravans, campers and boats and I'm now waiting for its arrival.

Does anyone have any experience of them or how to fit them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

No, but we're just about to fit one on my bus, after deciding that split charging relays are complete pants. So we're going for a more direct effort.

Is this happening just when you're using the 12v accessories for camping, or is the leisure battery drawing from the starter battery all the time? have you have both batteries tested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think that the leisure battery is draining the starter battery. It is the only thing I can think of. There is a switch which seems to regulate that and it is broken. I say "seems to" because it is in German. I have conversational German but am not too great at reading.

The van went for several weeks and I just turned it over at the weekends.

I had it out to the VRO on Friday and it was ticking over fine. Last night I tried to turn it over and it wouldn't start.

Both the leisure battery and the starter battery seem relatively new, installed by the last owner.

I think that the isolator is a good tool in any case because I will end up knocking on the lights or some such and run down the batteries anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had the same Problem on my old van that I rarely used in the end.

Two batteries of equal age, but only the vehicle battery got a good cycle going with driving, charging and discharging.
    The second battery would only be charged by the alternator while I was driving and when the main one was full ...in other words, rarely.

When I discoverd this, it was already too late. Charged the second one via the mains charger, but it was already fubar'd and wouldn't hold the charge very long.

In return it started sucking from the main battery, but i could at least keep that one alive by mains charging it now and then.

Don't ask me why and how and what sort of switch could have prevented it ...when it comes to electrics im deaf and dumb :D

btw ...what exactly does it say on your switch ...maybe a translation might shed light on the subject?

Advertisement