Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daftwatch

Options
  • 24-04-2007 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Having a look at daftwatch, does it actually represent an accurate snapshot of what is happening with the housing market in ireland or could it be the site is proving to be gaining in popularity, as such there have always been a good amount of houses for sale, just daft wasn’t the preferred target for sellers...

http://daftwatch.atspace.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Well the statments from estate agents earlier this year said that there is 3 times as much properties for sale now as at the same time last year. Also on thepropertypin.com people are keeping track of inventory on myhome.ie which is the other major site for property sales. You have to factor in DAFT becoming more popular but even when you do the number of properties for sale is massively up on last year and we all know what happens when supply rises and demand falls!(Demand is falling due to less investors and reduced FTBs and trader uppers who due to rate rises can borrow less.Also demand is being affected by economic uncertainty)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

you can check it yourself, it is a register of what daft says it has for sale.

It is just reading the "total" of places for sale in this link:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=&search=1&x=19&y=19
    you can click the "For sale" link over the graph to see the source figure on the daft site.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Particularily interesting there is the sharp rise in rental properties and even before the third leval colleges break up for summer.

Only conclusion I can get from that is that houses are not selling and going back into the rental market.
    Wonder will rents start falling again back towards 2001 rates.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Longfield wrote:
    Only conclusion I can get from that is that houses are not selling and going back into the rental market.
    Wonder will rents start falling again back towards 2001 rates.

A big conclusion avoiding the aspect of the increase in internet use as rental advertisement medium.
    Daft is certainly not representative of the market in my view therfore any conclusion drawn from it have to be flawed. A bit like basing the weather in Ireland on what you see out the window. Not always wrong but still a faulty assumption.

Kipperhell wrote:
    A big conclusion avoiding the aspect of the increase in internet use as rental advertisement medium.
    Daft is certainly not representative of the market in my view therfore any conclusion drawn from it have to be flawed. A bit like basing the weather in Ireland on what you see out the window. Not always wrong but still a faulty assumption.

I think daft is far and away the most popular way to find property to rent and has been for a few years now. What other sources do you believe might people be using? I think anyone in the 18 to 35 year bracket will be using daft and they are those most likely to be renting.

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=whizzbang I think anyone in the 18 to 35 year bracket will be using daft and they are those most likely to be renting.[/QUOTE]
    Well that is the whole population covered and all the people who buy investment property for sure:rolleyes:
    Thanks for proving the point that people rarely understand that they are not the centre of the universe.
    The portion of the people who own investment properties I would guess don't have internet connections. They are also more likely to have older incvestment propert y which would be closer to the older areas closer to towns and cities.
    I recntly took over advertisement for renting my aunts 2 houses which for the first time were advertised on -line after 20 years. Using the assumption given would mean that means there are more properties on the market which simply isn't true in that case. Maybe there is more than one person like me?

Fair enough, there will be exceptions, but I still think Daft list the majority of available places.

just out of interest, were your Aunts having any trouble renting offline or did you just go on line for convenience?

whizzbang wrote:
    Fair enough, there will be exceptions, but I still think Daft list the majority of available places.

just out of interest, were your Aunts having any trouble renting offline or did you just go on line for convenience?
    I don't think it is exceptions I think there are still people sticking to their old ways and a new trend is developing. The new trend does not cover the market IMO.

It isn't convenient to use the internet for my Aunt as she doesn't even have a computer let alone broardband available. Which I would say would cover many more established landlords.
    She did because it was mentioned to her as a possible way of doing it so she got me to do it. She has had no trouble ever getting the place renting. No trouble renting two places either way. She ended up putting up the rates as there was such high demand from 1300 up to 1400 for 3 beds on the Northside. Rent has never gone down as far as she has been concerned. One of the many reasons I have yet to see daft ever produce something born out by reality around me.

Advertisement