Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter going deep to avoid useing up the Bullpen?

Options
  • 24-04-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭

Ok time to display my ignorance.
    I have NASN and have been watching baseball for the last about four seasons. Something confuses me.

Example: A team has gone to extra innings in some of the last few games. Apparantly this is tireing the bullpen. Starters will try to go deeper to protect the bullpen sometimes into the 8th inning of further in order to 'take it easy on the bullpen' because the bullpen are all puckered out.

What im confused about is how are these relievers getting exhausted by only having to throw an inning of relief every day to second day. I mean am i underestimating how exhausting this is?. What about the poor starter that is expected to go an average of 5-7 innings every start. Ok he gets a few days rest before he starts again but to me relievers throwing one inning of relief every day or second day is just limbering up and if anything more mentally taxing that physically taxing?. Is it that good relievers are hard to come by and not trusted to throw a clean inning. Ive even seen ace pitchers throw an inning of relief to help out the bullpen.

The way i see it teams seem to over protect the bullpen?. So what am im missing here?. What are all the factors coach's are determining with regard to useing and resting his bullpen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Starters have a very regular routine. They go out and throw 100ish pitches every 5 days, and a side session in the middle, their bodies are conditioned to expect the same rehab every 5 days. A reliever in a tough inning or who goes more than 1 inning can throw 30+ pitches. To expect them to pitch again the next day or even the day after is a bit much. There's also the mentle thing of them always being at the business end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭PappaCSkillz22

Check out Papelbon of the Red Sox next time he pitches. Throwing 98mph is extremely taxing on the arm. On top of that, pitching late in the game is also very mentally tough.

Personally I believe no question is a bad question though

When we first started playing baseball in Ireland in '96 there were some very funny instances of people not knowing the rules or the nuances of the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

When we first started playing baseball in Ireland in '96 there were some very funny instances of people not knowing the rules or the nuances of the game!

I still see stuff that I have to think twice about. There was a great article at the end of the season a few years ago about weird box scores. For example, the winning pitcher not throwing a pitch (not too complicated), recording 4k's in an inning (also not that complicated). There were other ones that I don't remember.
    One stat based one that I still don't know is the following: If a batter comes to the plate with a man on first and a couple of pitches into the at-bat the guy steals second and does that at-bat count in the batters RISP average?

Advertisement