Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL in Dublin

Options
  • 23-04-2007 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'd like to do a TEFL course in Dublin and was wondering can anyone reccomend a school/course?

I'd like to do a really decent, comprehensive course- not one of those crash course types. Also I work Mon - Fri so am not that keen so spend all day Saturday and Sunday in class. Anyone know of any evening classes?

Or alternatively, are there any that you can do on weekdays ( I know that contradicts the above, but I'll be going back to uni in the autumn so I could quit work a few weeks in advance to take a tefl course if needs be)

Also - do any of the universities run courses? I'll be going to DCU... anyone know of anything?

Any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I would recommend, if it's possible, studying it abroad. There's really no need to study it in Dublin and you might as well include it in your traveling plans (if you're using TEFL for working abroad). I did mine in the same city I ended up teaching in, and it was amazing. If I had gone straight into teaching English having done TEFL/ ESOL in Dublin, I wouldn't have met a quarter of the people I did. It's a great social thing.

Anyway, here is an Irish group who run courses in Dublin
    http://www.teflireland.com/

And I think they also do the study TEFL abroad option - but I'm not familiar with them.
    I think most courses tend to be crash-courses in nature, so long as you speak English effortlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My post from earlier in the year. A standard 4 week course is fine to get started and tends to work better for people as you get into the flow better. Weekend courses which run over an extended period with teaching practice are also OK. A quick weekend course/ 2 day course is not. UCD do courses but not sure if it is what you want.
    As regards doing it in Dublin or abroad well that depends. The advantage of doing a recognised course here before going away is that it makes you more marketable and might be easier in terms of job searching, but a course abroad is a good excuse for a holiday.

Advertisement