Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timeframe

Options
  • 23-04-2007 4:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does each episode take place over an average of 1 or 2 days in Lost? I thought it was 1, but in 1x15, Jack tells Claire that they've been on the Island for nearly a month. Have I just been wrong all along? Does anyone know for definite how many days they've been on the Island for now?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I thinkits somewhere between 100 days and 4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It is possible that the timeframe is completely random. I am not sure if there ever was a time frame per ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

logik wrote:
    It is possible that the timeframe is completely random. I am not sure if there ever was a time frame per ep.

No there definitely is a timeframe. Some episodes take place within a single day, some three, but the vast majority have been over 2 days. And they're all in progressive chronological order, with the exception of 2x07 (I think that was the episode anyway) "The Other 48 Days", where we saw how the Tailies survived on the island for the first season. It was stated earlier this season, probably in 3x08 or 3x09 that they're over 80 days on the island, but the exact date hasn't been referenced since. So take it they're in or around 100 days there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

According to this timeline, 316 takes place 83 days since Flight 815 crashed on the island. The most recent episode (317) took place over 2 days, I think. So we're up to day 85 now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cool, cheers. So that should mean the finale takes place around Christmas day! Interesting...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Faith wrote:
    Cool, cheers. So that should mean the finale takes place around Christmas day! Interesting...

I think the writers hinted at christmas day being mentioned in season 4.
    logik wrote:

I don't know how you can watch lost and possibly think that, clearly the timeframe is vitally important to the show with all the backstories and interconnections between each characters past

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

They took mah presents!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

According to Lostpedia's timeline 3x17 takes place on day 86 and 87, which is December 16 and 17 respectively of 2004. This isn't the official timeline however (which is handled by Gregg Nations the script coordinator afaik) so it may be off by a day or so.

cooker3 wrote:

I had a feeling the S3 finale would be Christmas though... we'll have to wait and see I guess

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Didn't crazy French woman say that people became sick after 90 day on the island?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ponster wrote:
    Didn't crazy French woman say that people became sick after 90 day on the island?
    I'm no so sure Danielle can be trusted on this issue but afaik she indicated it was 2 months after arriving on the island.

Looks like i was way way wrong. Had no idea the writers were actually following a timeline.

logik wrote:
    Had no idea the writers were actually following a timeline.

So what you thought the plane crashed the week after Locke blew up the sub, and Michael and Walt left after Jack performed the surgery on Ben? :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Faith wrote:
    Does each episode take place over an average of 1 or 2 days in Lost? I thought it was 1, but in 1x15, Jack tells Claire that they've been on the Island for nearly a month. Have I just been wrong all along? Does anyone know for definite how many days they've been on the Island for now?

15x2=30, pretty much bang on a month, no? :confused:

upmeath wrote:
    So what you thought the plane crashed the week after Locke blew up the sub, and Michael and Walt left after Jack performed the surgery on Ben? :D

LOL mate, you know what i meant :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

15x2=30, pretty much bang on a month, no? :confused:

Aye, but I had thought that each episode equaled 1 day, so I didn't know if that was a continuity error or what!

Faith wrote:
    Aye, but I had thought that each episode equaled 1 day, so I didn't know if that was a continuity error or what!

No, only a handful of episodes have covered a time period less than 48 hours. Looking at S3 since we resumed at 3x07, we've actually had a surprisingly high proportion of one-day episodes, and this leads me to believe that the writers are intentionally stalling the passing of "island time" to allow the S3 finale coincide with Christmas Day (although I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all at all!)
    Tricia Tanaka Is Dead, Exposé and Catch-22 have all been one-day episodes, but the latter two were both exceptionally well-produced episodes if you ask me, so I think it's forgiveable if they're not covering longer time periods in each episode!

Are all eps not one-day eps? I mean there is flashbacks, yes but the time on the Island during that ep, is in real time.

logik wrote:
    Are all eps not one-day eps? I mean there is flashbacks, yes but the time on the Island during that ep, is in real time.

No, sure if they're somewhere around 85 or 86 days in at 3x17 (2x23+17=63) then clearly there have been 20 or more 2 day episodes. Think about the one where Kate and Sawyer came back to the island with Karl, there was an overnight stay in the woods involved there. And the same with Kate, Sayid, Jack and Juliet's return journey from the Others camp, they stayed in the jungle overnight.

upmeath wrote:
    No, sure if they're somewhere around 85 or 86 days in at 3x17 (2x23+17=63) then clearly there have been 20 or more 2 day episodes. Think about the one where Kate and Sawyer came back to the island with Karl, there was an overnight stay in the woods involved there. And the same with Kate, Sayid, Jack and Juliet's return journey from the Others camp, they stayed in the jungle overnight.

True actually.

• Advertisement

upmeath wrote:
    No, only a handful of episodes have covered a time period less than 48 hours. Looking at S3 since we resumed at 3x07, we've actually had a surprisingly high proportion of one-day episodes, and this leads me to believe that the writers are intentionally stalling the passing of "island time" to allow the S3 finale coincide with Christmas Day (although I'm not saying this is a bad thing at all at all!)
    Tricia Tanaka Is Dead, Exposé and Catch-22 have all been one-day episodes, but the latter two were both exceptionally well-produced episodes if you ask me, so I think it's forgiveable if they're not covering longer time periods in each episode!

Catch 22 was a 2 day time frame - remember they camped overnight. Looking back on it there have been a lot of episodes that spanned more than one day but the following episode may have taken place on the same day the previous one finished off. So overall they are probably between 1 to 2 days per episode. If I recall correctly, they mentioned that Jack, Kate, Sayid and Locke were away for 1 week and that was about 4 episodes

And also there sometimes a gap of a day or 2 between episodes. For example (according to Lostpedia's timeline) 1x08 takes place on day 10 but 1x09 is day 12.

Yeah you are right actually. Jack was away from 1 week with the others. That makes it a 2 day gap between each ep.

Hyzepher wrote:
    Catch 22 was a 2 day time frame - remember they camped overnight

Sorry Hyzepher, my bad, and that was only last week! I'm becoming rather forgetful lately!

Based on 3x18 they are 90 days on the island - this was part of the dialogue in the episode

Juliet must have been estimating because she gives the time at the end of the episode as 6am on a Saturday. That would make it December 18 2004, the 88th day on the island.

Juliet must have been estimating because she gives the time at the end of the episode as 6am on a Saturday. That would make it December 18 2004, the 88th day on the island.

Yes i was thinking that too Prof, but i thought that made 90 days and not 88. My bad.

Advertisement