Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the tower on the hill near Kells?

Options
  • 23-04-2007 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Off the N3 there is what looks like a lighthouse on a hill. I haven't seen any signposts to suggest what happens there.....anyone here know?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Its the Tower of Loyd.

It is as creepy as hell, imo.

Here's some info on it.

Tower of Loyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Do they still let people go to the very top? We went there on a 'school tour' (we are only like 15 or so miles away!) :mad: I won't say what went on when a few of the trouble makers got out onto the part with the metal bars. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

That's bizarre, I'll have to go and check it out

Fairplay for the lightining quick reply Silverfish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Ruu wrote:
    Do they still let people go to the very top? We went there on a 'school tour' (we are only like 15 or so miles away!) :mad: I won't say what went on when a few of the trouble makers got out onto the part with the metal bars. :(

Any time I've ventured up that end of the county in the last 5 or 10 years it's been closed, much to my dismay!

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

I've been up once, but it was the middle of the night.

I'd like to go into it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its still open on Sundays afaik.

The tower is more commonly called the Spire of Lloyd.

http://meathtourism.ie/Tourism/Heritage/HeritageTrails/KellsHeritageTrail/
    The first Earl of Bective erected the Spire of Lloyd, a mock lighthouse, in 1791,in memory of his father Sir Thomas Taylor. The architect was Henry Baker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was up there as a kid. If I remember correctly you were told you could see 5 or 6 different counties. I presume Dublin, Meath, Cavan, Westmeath and Lought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Ah! And there was me thinking it was the control tower for the new Kells international airport! :D

(How they will ever get a runway built on that hill... i dont know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭gipi

Access wrote:
    Ah! And there was me thinking it was the control tower for the new Kells international airport! :D

(How they will ever get a runway built on that hill... i dont know!)

Simple - they'll use vertical take-off and landing planes!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

"Just making our final descent into Kells International, on your right there you see Supervalu for all your shopping needs, thanks for flying Air Kells and hope to see you in the near future". :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mickrourke

Ruu wrote:
    "Just making our final descent into Kells International, on your right there you see Supervalu for all your shopping needs, thanks for flying Air Kells and hope to see you in the near future". :)

.....and there's always "The Vibe" for all your dancing needs......

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

whilst driving past the TOWER OF LLOYD a few years ago, I had some English people in the car who asked what was the tower on the hill?I replied, it was a lighthouse..just as we were pulling into Dublin Airport, one of the English people said, "what do you mean its a lighthouse"? And there we have the lightning response of a dim witted Englishman...true story....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

welcome to kells airport now get ready for the two mile tail back into the town. but dont worry when you get to the top of the hill you find no reason what caused the traffic jam in the first place :confused:
    roll on the m3 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Just in case no one knows, it was built in famine times. The Lord of Headfort Estate had schemes for people to built in an effort to make money, known as follies. He also gave people jobs to build the walls around the estate to give them some sort of wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Just read that last post....I often wondered how those big estates managed to pay the dozen or two dozen men it must have took to build those endless walls. Charity after the crime. Imagine thinking your family are only goin to make it thru the winter coz some mad old fart fancies seeing a lighthouse built in the middle of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

JMSE wrote:
    Just read that last post....I often wondered how those big estates managed to pay the dozen or two dozen men it must have took to build those endless walls. Charity after the crime. Imagine thinking your family are only goin to make it thru the winter coz some mad old fart fancies seeing a lighthouse built in the middle of the country.
    So, you're saying that allowing the people to work for a wage is wrong? The Marquess of Headfort paid the workers a fair wage, with which they could purchase food, so that their family would survive. It was a win-win situation. Admittedly, some land-owners went further and gave food out for free, but, then, the people were idle, because they had no-one for whom to work. The work they did on their own plots of land was pointless, because of the blight, and there wasn't enough everyday work for them on the estate, so Lord Headfort came up with this idea. I fail to see the "crime".

Advertisement