Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vrt

Options
  • 23-04-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭

Finally got round to bringing the van to the VRO. Took it over on Friday.

Things that the guy working there seemed most interested in was the height, chassis number, cooking rings and sink.

My van ended up having an internal height of 184cm. It is plain for all to see that it is a camper van. If it had had 5 cm less interior headroom, it wouldn't have qualified, leaving the car rate of tax payable.

He said he could tell by looking at it that it is sub three tonnes.

So all the figures have gone down to Wexford. I showed him the dent that I caused to it and the dodgy blind and table and he has written on it that it is in "Very poor condition", which I think is fair.

Hopefully after I get it registered and do some work on it, it could be classified as very good condition!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi T

Have to ask what van are you talking about and did you ask the person to explain "He said he could tell by looking at it that it is sub three tonnes."......if a guy can tell the weight of something just by looking at it, Im sure that he would be highly valuable to Ryan Air as it definately would speed up the checkin time for baggage. No need to weigh it, just give me a look:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It is an SWB Transit with a coach built body.

To be honest, I was trying to chance my arm by saying I was unsure of whether it was over 3 tonnes or not and that the weight of 2575kg on the german log book was the weight of the chassis alone and the body would push it up over the 3 tonne mark.

I think the 2575 is the maximum weight so I wasn't going to argue with him.

I think if I could buy one again, I would go for a MB Chassis with a Hymer body over the 3 tonne mark. That way, I would get value for all I spent instead of having to give money over to the VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Let us know how much you were done for

Have just had a call from the VRO. Apparently the people in Rosslare who evaluate these things were not happy with the description by the official who inspected the van. They want pictures to point out the condition of the van.

I would have thought that someone working in the VRO would
    a) be able to make a decent apprasial of any vehicle and
    b) have his opinion on the state of the vehicle trusted.

So now I need to pick out the worst points of my van and take photos of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Next they're gonna come back and tell you that you have a "collectable" and charge you for the pleasure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

Have just had a call from the VRO. Apparently the people in Rosslare who evaluate these things were not happy with the description by the official who inspected the van. They want pictures to point out the condition of the van.

I would have thought that someone working in the VRO would
    a) be able to make a decent apprasial of any vehicle and
    b) have his opinion on the state of the vehicle trusted.

So now I need to pick out the worst points of my van and take photos of them.

I'm surprised the official didn't take pictures..they usually do,if the vehicle is anything out of the ordinary.The local guys have no call on valuation.As regards knowing the weight by sight,if the guy knows the base vehicle,and it's axle weight,then he would know that it couldn't carry 3 tons.(my transit was a case in point)

peasant wrote:
    Next they're gonna come back and tell you that you have a "collectable" and charge you for the pleasure.

Oh no! I have trusted your opinions and been grateful for your input up untill this point.

"Please let peasant be wrong. Please let peasant be wrong":D

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

What they do in most cases is get a valuation from one of the motorcaravan clubs as to the market value and compare this to the actual value based on a new vehicle less how many years old it on a sliding scale.

This final figure is what counts to determine the VRT and normally they will disregard any slight damage inside the vehicle.

Finally got my quote.

€399

I am relieved to have it over with and can finally get cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

John Dough wrote:
    What they do in most cases is get a valuation from one of the motorcaravan clubs as to the market value

Uh!? That all sounds a bit dodgy! :eek:

They are not a professional body, what the hell qualifies them as experts in valuations for the Revenue? :eek:

Is that really the best a govt body can come up with?

So whatever some owner's club says goes?

I'm really shocked at that :confused:

Congratulations Terrontress, on getting it over and done with, a huge relief I bet ;)

• Advertisement

Now it is a simple matter (not) of getting it passed as safe by the local mechanic and then getting it insured by Stuarts.

I think I am in need of a new exhaust at the very least and God knows what else he will say I need before he passes it as fit.

I am regretting ever getting involved in the first place. The one thing I have learnt is that campervans cannot be done on the cheap and that trying to do so is a very expensive process.

Advertisement