Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reversing Camera

Options
  • 23-04-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi All

Anybody got a reversing camera on your van??
    Do you suggest/recommend them or are they just a gimic??

As you can guess, I dont have one but am considering one .
    I suppose from ease of fitting, a "wireless" system appears to be the way to go.

Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We fit them here to trucks as std. You can get them from Durite, as a kit - comes complete with cables/monitor etc. Excellent.

Try AES in Dublin, 01 8306688. iirc, kit's from Eur 345+ VAT

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi Galwaytt

Cheers for the reply. I am bigtime out of my depth here and looking for info etc.
    On e-bay you can get wireless systems (well the camera has to be wired into the reversing loom) which seem to be a fairly easy fit for the DIYer. These systems seem to be about €150. Usually in this world ya get what ya pay for but to be honest, I have had a few lucky breaks on e-bay. Do you have any experience with these systems?

Also, the kit that you talk about, how difficult are they to fit......does the camera have to be hard wired to the monitor or is it a radio signal?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Haven't got one myself, but from what I understand you'd want to watch out for two things;

A viewing angle well above 90 degrees (152 degrees seems to be a standard)

Infrared capability ...otherwise it's useless at night or in bad visibility (when you need it most)

And make sure to seal the drill holes well :D

sorry, no experience on radio ones.........can't see the point, in a camper, you could hide the cable in behind a press/bed etc. Besides, you'll still have to bring power to the camera, anyway......

I have a wireless IR camera at home, but life, on batteries, is v.v. short.....

Cameras fitted to truck here last week was 80 deg - remember neither a mirror nor your eyesite see a big angle, and wide angle distorts the image, rendering distance judgement a little tricky.

A rear view mirror isn't IR either, but I can see the merit of an IR camera, parking at night alright.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

galwaytt wrote:
    Cameras fitted to truck here last week was 80 deg - remember neither a mirror nor your eyesite see a big angle, and wide angle distorts the image, rendering distance judgement a little tricky.

From what I understand the problem whith the viewing angle is that at 90 deg from two point something meters up, you just don't get the corners of the vehicle into view.

For the less experienced camper driver (as opposed to a trucker) it is kind of handy to have some overlap between what they see in their mirror and what they see on the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'd strongly advise getting one that can display a 'mirror' image on the monitor; ie. the image is flipped right -> left so that it looks like what you'd see in an internal rear view mirror with an unrestricted view.
    It makes manoeuvring the vehicle much more intuitive when reversing while glancing from left mirror -> monitor -> right mirror and back.

...good point. The Durite ones we fit, have flip as standard - it's switchable, btw......

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement