Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing the car

Options
  • 23-04-2007 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

My brother says that when reversing (for a fairly long distance) you can remove your seat belt and turn around to your side, look back and put your left arm across the back of the passenger seat with only your right hand on the steering wheel.
    Is this true?
    If you are only reversing a short distance (like in a three point turn) can you do this? Or would you have both hands on the wheel and reverse using the mirrors?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Never remove your seat belt and always have both hands on the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

feylya wrote:
    Never remove your seat belt and always have both hands on the wheel.
    Eh? Its pefectly acceptable to remove your seatbelt when performing any reversing manouevere (even during a test) As long as you remember to put it back on again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

I had an argument with my friend last night about this. I was almost sure you can look around you when reversing, but he said you had to use your mirrors. Now i don't really know, but am still leaning on the its OK turn around and look side of the fence

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Perfectly okay to look around you while reversing during the driving test but it might be easier to just use the mirrors as you'll also have to keep checking what's coming from other directions.

Taking off your seatbelt is a different story altogether. I'd imagine they'll fail you if you do that.

I don't see why you'd need to put your left arm across the passenger seat, unless you were making a move on your tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

I got lots of lessons before my test last November and my instructor told me to look around in all directions (as well as using the mirors) when reversing. I did that in the test and I passed.
    Don't think you should take off the belt though - even if it's allowed, you might forget to put it back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Thanks, but do you keep both hands on the steering while reversing? It would be difficult to look through the back window with both hands on the steering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Both hands on the wheel, seat belt on. Turn the passenger side mirror down a bit so you can watch the corner of the kerb as you turn. Helps a lot!

But also plenty of checking blind spots as well as behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm amazed at how many different ways you guys get taught to drive in Ireland! Is it just a case of doing whatever your driving instructor (professional or amateur) tells you, but that in the test there's no real rules?

I know that over here in Switzerland the logic is as follows:

- Unless reversing into a parking-space, use the back window. This gives the best visibility of what is directly in the direction you are travelling. It also means that you are not relying on your brain correctly processing a mirror-image for steering corrections.

- Unbuckle your seat belt. Whilst using the back window, you also need to check the front window every 3-4 seconds* You unbuckle your seat-belt to ensure that at no time will your movements be impeded.

- Because you have your seat-belt unbuckled, and are typically driving with only one hand on the wheel (as well as other factors) you should not reverse faster than walking speed.

- You can put your arm behind the head-rest of the opposite seat. This can aid your stability whilst switching between looking out the rear and front windows, as well as minimising muscle-stress from this position.

* We drive on the right in Switzerland. However, to (reverse along the road), you cross to the left side of the road, so that yoru car is travelling *with* the direction of traffic. Thus, whilst travelling backwards you need to check your front window to make sure there isn't any oncoming traffic. If there is, you should stop completely at the earliest opportunity to allow them to pass.

Whether I'd fail for doing something else...I don't know. I don't intend to find out :)

bonkey wrote:
    I'm amazed at how many different ways you guys get taught to drive in Ireland! Is it just a case of doing whatever your driving instructor (professional or amateur) tells you, but that in the test there's no real rules?

That's it really. You're relying on what your instructor tells you, which may or may not be correct. There are rules that the testers use for assessing you, but they're not published anywhere. As if the rules to safe correct driving are meant to be kept a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the mirrors give a false distance, so you have to look back for distance perception

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Stark wrote:
    There are rules that the testers use for assessing you, but they're not published anywhere. As if the rules to safe correct driving are meant to be kept a secret.

Crazy. I'm guessing its so people don't learn "just what can be examined", but still...crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My dad also taught me that you can take off your seat-belt when reversing, but I'm not sure that's true. If you get hit by another car, it won't matter if you're reversing or not, you'll still be f*cked out the window. Although I suppose seatbelts are most effective in head-on collisions, but I doubt the legislation is as presumptive as that TBH. It's not necessary to take off your belt to turn around, just loosen it a bit.

If anyone can make head or tails of the Road Traffic Act 2006, then the answer should be in there. Search for 'belt' (they're referred to as 'safety belts', not 'seat belts'). It's referring to European Law, and I'm not arsed looking it up, lol.

It's here: http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2006/A2306.pdf

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

You may remove you seatbelt during the test for reversing. I removed mine when i did my test and used both the mirrors and looking out the back and front window. Just make sure if you do that you put it back on when you stop before you move off again.

A driving instructor freaked out with me for removing my belt while reversing before. But then that goes to show that they don't know the rules themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote:
    Taking off your seatbelt is a different story altogether. I'd imagine they'll fail you if you do that
    It's perfectly acceptable and legal to remove one's seatbelt when reversing.

Exemptions from requirement to wear seatbelts

1. If you are sitting on a seat that is not fitted with a safety belt

2. If you are driving and reversing your vehicle (i.e., moving your vehicle in a backward motion)

3. If you are giving instruction in or in respect of the driving of a vehicle (i.e., you are teaching someone else how to drive). This is another example of a case where it might not be so wise to avail of the leniency of the law.

4. If you are driving test examiner conducting a driving test

5. If you are a member of An Garda Siochana or the Defence Forces and are driving as part of your duties

6. If you hold a medical certificate signed by a qualified medical practitioner stating it is inadvisable on medical grounds you wear a seatbelt or child restraint

7. Babies and children under 4 years in back seats only that do not have appropriate child restraints fitted are also exempt from the requirements. Again, the responsible adult might decide to place a child in a child restraint system that is, perhaps, designed for a different weight bracket, judging this to be preferable to the child being un-restrained. The law does not prevent the use of good judgment in such a case. Neither does it, however, oblige us to force a child to use an inappropriate child restraint.

(With effect from 1st July, 2004 drivers of small public service vehicles (i.e., taxis) are required to wear seatbelts when driving these vehicles. Previously, they had been exempt from this provision).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

Just saw this post. I am sure in the old Rules of the Road' that it stated it was ok to take off your belt when reversing - must dig out an old copy and check unless anyone has page and verse!.

The NEW Rules of the Road seems different:-
    Page 35 - Heading SAFETY BELTS says :"You must wear a Safety Belt. The only exceptions are:-
    • people who wear a disabled person's belt
    • people whose doctors have certified that, on medical grounds, they should not wear a safety belt
    • driving instructors or driver testers during a lesson or a test, and
    • Gardai or members of the defense forces in the course of their duty
    I cannot find anywhere in this new version where it says it is ok to remove belt while reversing. Anyone find differently.

New rules of the road come into force in the driving test from 1st/2nd May, so this is the new 'Bible'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

hm. i've been told you can fail your test by not turning around and looking out the back window while reversing. the amount of completely opposing advice you get on driving is mildly worrying.

rain on wrote:
    hm. i've been told you can fail your test by not turning around and looking out the back window while reversing. the amount of completely opposing advice you get on driving is mildly worrying.
    If the vehicle is equipped with a rear window the driver is expected to use it in conjunction with mirrors. (Some category B vehicles such as small vans may not be equipped with a rear window).

In large vehicles such as buses, rigid trucks and articulated trucks, the driver is expected to reverse using the mirrors. Looking back via the offside door is permitted in an articulated truck, particularly when doing an off-side corner reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Reversing just by using your mirrors is silly. Sure you have to turn your head to the left anyway because of the blind spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

boreds wrote:
    Reversing just by using your mirrors is silly. Sure you have to turn your head to the left anyway because of the blind spot.
    For a car that is ok. Different story when you are driving a big commerical vehicle with no rear/side windows.
    Sometimes, getting out for a quick peek if you have time helps.

• Advertisement

boreds wrote:
    Reversing just by using your mirrors is silly
    Yea, it's much safer to look at a bulkhead. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Whats a bulkhead now?

boreds wrote:
    Whats a bulkhead now?
    The partition between the load area and the driver's area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

does anybody else think its crazy that you dont have to wear a seatbelt if you are in the gardai?? i know it says while on duty, but if a guard was to be stopped, they could easily say theyre working plain clothes for a few months, show the id and drive off!! what difference does it make if youre in the army or guards?? youre still going to die without a seatbelt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They can use mobile phones while driving on duty, too (the Gardaí can, anyway).

They're dangerous jobs, surprise surprise!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Irish Salfordia

timmywex wrote:
    does anybody else think its crazy that you dont have to wear a seatbelt if you are in the gardai?? i know it says while on duty, but if a guard was to be stopped, they could easily say theyre working plain clothes for a few months, show the id and drive off!! what difference does it make if youre in the army or guards?? youre still going to die without a seatbelt!!

I think the craziest of all is that driving instructors and driver testers don't have to wear seat belts when giving lessons or during tests. Given the standard of lots of learners this would be suicidal !!!!!

That exemption only applies to driving testers, not instructors.

timmywex wrote:
    does anybody else think its crazy that you dont have to wear a seatbelt if you are in the gardai?
    No, not at all. Legislation regarding seatbelts cannot account for every situation therefore it is easier to exempt rather that draft legislation which can account for every situation. There is no requirement that individual Gardaí do not wear a seatbelt. It is a matter of choice. For example, Gardaí are occasionally required to restrain difficult prisoners in patrol cars. This would be very difficult while wearing a seatbelt.
    DaveMcG wrote:
    They can use mobile phones while driving on duty, too
    AFAIK the legislation refers to all two way communication. That would prohibit telephones, two way radios, CBs etc. Do you really think it would be appropriate that Gardaí cannot use their radios? How else would their controller communicate with them. It is much easier to grant a general exemption rather than to try to specify every possible scenario where the use of two way communication should be granted or prohibited. The Gardaí are forced to use mobile telephones for communications in many circumstances anyway as the non-TETRA radio system is very insecure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I got lots of lessons before my test last November and my instructor told me to look around in all directions (as well as using the mirors) when reversing. I did that in the test and I passed.
    Don't think you should take off the belt though - even if it's allowed, you might forget to put it back on.

My instructor said the same and i passed in December. Don't take off the seatbelt (even though it says you can in the rules of the road). Mirrors (side and middle) are very NB indeed. Don't forget to look over the shoulder either. Work the clutch also (I was severly marked on my 1st test over that).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I think the craziest of all is that driving instructors and driver testers don't have to wear seat belts when giving lessons or during tests. Given the standard of lots of learners this would be suicidal !!!!!

It's in case they have to reach suddenly over to grab the wheel. An inertia reel belt would prevent them. I know, because I asked :D

Advertisement