Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rugby for fitness only?!

Options
  • 22-04-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

hi,
    is there any clubs you can train with for fitness only? im just curious, im would be fitter than your average bloke i suppose but im looking for something alittle different and considering that i never played rugby before i doubt i would ever get a game at 25, is there any clubs that let people just train with them ? in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

While most clubs welcome new blood down at training, I think that if you have no intention or interest in playing then some clubs would feel that you're wasting their time and the time of the others who train with you.

Why not join a tag rugby team during the summer and learn a few basic rugby skills and get some rugby fitness, get to know some guys who play for clubs and get feedback from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Clubs would take you on at 25 no hassle. The thing about Junior rugby (which you'd be playing) is that if you are fit thats 75% of the battle. The older lads have the ability alright, but they can only show it for the first 5 minutes of the game :)

Obviously this changes the closer you get to the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hi,
    is there any clubs you can train with for fitness only? im just curious, im would be fitter than your average bloke i suppose but im looking for something alittle different and considering that i never played rugby before i doubt i would ever get a game at 25, is there any clubs that let people just train with them ? in Dublin?

Why don't you want to play? 25 is definitely young enough to pick the game up from scratch, 3 guys on my team started off playing tip last summer in my club and all of them now play regular rugby every week.

Also in my experience of junior rugby (J3 and 4), you may do a huge amount of conditioning work as a team apart from a few weeks before the season kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

At the lower levels if you are fit you will kick arse!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

OP, I came back rugby aged 33. What's to stop you? You're 25!

Look up www.dublinrugby.com Stillorgan Rugby Club have two junior teams and it's a great club for those taking up the game for the first time or coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

thanks for the positive feedback lads. To be honest i prob would like to play. The only reason i said i wouldnt want to play is because i thought no club would be interested in a 25 yr old who never played rugby, but they might let me train to make up numbers or pay subs or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Join the local club.
    Learn how to play.
    If they put you on a team, do your best.
    Train as hard as you can.
    Wear sun screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Flat

you could volunteer to be a human rucking bag otherwise train to play

Advertisement