Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Pedestrian Zones

Options
  • 22-04-2007 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I had to go pick up some stuff from Eamon Dorans, Temple Bar the other night in my van and was going very slow. A garda came up to me and said I'm not supposed to be in this area that it's a pedestrian zone and only open to vehicles from 7-11am or something. I said I just had to pick some stuff up in Eamon Dorans and that I was told by Eamon Dorans that as long as I stay with the van and am there to move it if need be, it's ok. He said that's not the case but he'll give me 5 minutes and in future to make alternative arrangements.

It's not the first time I've had my van at Eamon Dorans, another time I did and a Garda van came the other way, facing me, the road isn't big enough for 2 vans to pass so I went up to the garda van and asked did he want me to move, he said no if you're only going to be a minute it's fine. Then a garda car came up behind me and started on their speaker saying to move the vehicle:rolleyes: So I moved it up anyway and the garda transit van had to reverse to let me up, then of course the car that was behind me just stops for a chat with the van once I move and they are there chatting until I'm finished and have to then get my them:rolleyes: Anyway, that time, nothing was said about it being a pedestrian zone and their only problem was I was in the way.

So what's the actual law regarding this situation and could I be convicted/fined/points for being in the zone?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

HA! I did the exact same thing not so long ago, dropping of a few friends who were playing there and there equipment, that was 7pm on a saturday night, not a word said. I'll know for the future.

-VB-

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looking at penaltypoints.ie there are a few that you may fall under...
    * Failure to comply with mandatory traffic signs at junctions (1 or 3 points)
    * Failure to comply with prohibitory traffic signs (1 or 3 points)
    etc.
    (http://www.penaltypoints.ie/the_full_list_of_offences.php)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

That'd be pretty ****ty alright, is there anywhere I could find out about this with more detail? Would the council know about permissions etc?

Permission to use it outside of hours? Its clearly stated that you can only use it within certain hours so trying to get around that will be nigh on impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭andrew_ireland

I've had to do that quite a few times myself, the Gardai have always been cool about it- they're not eejits- they can see that theamps and speaker cabs aren't the lightest thing in the world. I've been stopped there a few times and asked why I'm driving there, once it was explained there wasn't a problem.

I had, however, seen a guy getting it in the neck for pulling in on a pedestrian road while his mates came out of a shop so I suppose the Gardai would have to use their own discretion in these cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

As always, it depends on the individual Garda. I play in Fleet Street every Sunday, and so far, in 16 months, I've only gotten hassle once.

moved to commuting / transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If you're not supposed to be in there, dont be in there. Simple as that. Typical "sure it'll be grand, Ill bend the rules a bit" attidude that theres so much of over here.

Pity the Garda werent coherent in their law applying in this instance.

If you're not supposed to be in there, dont be in there. Simple as that. Typical "sure it'll be grand, Ill bend the rules a bit" attidude that theres so much of over here.

Pity the Garda werent coherent in their law applying in this instance.

It's not the worst crime now really though is it? Is it even a crime? I think citizens would be more at risk if they had to haul huge amps and boxes a few hundred metres rather than out the door and into a van. Citizens being the people carrying them and the people in their way. A van entering such a zone, travelling at 2mph is hardly a huge risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

Pedestrian zones are great for anyone looking after small children - you can give the kids a little more freedom to walk around. This doesn't work when an area allows even only light traffic. Ever noticed the chaos caused by sergeant fatso cruising up Grafton Street because he can and his chubby little legs can't?

Should people be allowed to drive in pedestrian zones? What kind of a question is this? Pedestrian zones generally allow vehicles during set delivery times which may be inconvenient for the driver but a benefit to everyone else.

Jesus Christ what's next? Why can't I smoke in petrol stations (so long as I just do it the odd time)?

• Advertisement

OTK wrote:
    Jesus Christ what's next? Why can't I smoke in petrol stations (so long as I just do it the odd time)?

To be fair that's not quite the same thing- the nearest car parking facilities are in the Fleet St. multistory and carrying equipment which can weigh up to 70kg down lifts/stairs in the multistory and then to the venue from there is unreasonable.
    Anyone driving in that area:
    1/ Has a very good reason to be there,
    2/ Isn't going to be moving anywhere near even the speed you'd drive into a housing estate at.

Believe me, if there was an easier way to gain access I'd take it.

Should people be allowed to drive in pedestrian zones? What kind of a question is this?

You make it sound like I want pedestrian zones opened up for everyone. There's a big difference between allowing traffic to enter and one van going up for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Do you want to have the pedestrian zones opened exclusively for you? Don't you think that other van drivers then want to have the same rights? Then we have 100 vans for just ten minutes each still driving through pedestrian zones.

Why is it called a pedestrian zone? It's not called zone for pedestrians and vans for ten minutes.

It's the typical "There are rules but only for everybody else."

Do you want to have the pedestrian zones opened exclusively for you? Don't you think that other van drivers then want to have the same rights? Then we have 100 vans for just ten minutes each still driving through pedestrian zones.

Why is it called a pedestrian zone? It's not called zone for pedestrians and vans for ten minutes.

It's the typical "There are rules but only for everybody else."

No, I don't think they should be opened exclusively for me. I just think there should be exceptions allowed. I'm sure you have or have wanted to break a few rules yourself in your life? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

It should be obvious to anybody but a moron that the "delivery times" for a gig at a venue like Eamonn Dorans are completely at odds with the 7-11am specified delivery time, which is clearly designed for shop deliveries etc.

I have done it plenty of times for the same reason. I have been seen by Gardai every single time, and also had the Garda car stuck while I was in there way. Nothing has ever been said to me. They use their discretion wisely. I suggest that perhaps some of the keyboard tappers here could do with thinking along similar lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭Bards

Why not arrange to drop off the equipment between 7-11 am and pick up the next morning for the next gig? Pedestrian zones in Waterford have removable locked bollards that are only removed during those times

Ah, if only it was as simple as that :( Some folks could be coming from Cork or Galway to play that night and then driving home straight after. I do think though that this area should be looked into properly though as regards access but fair play to the Gardai for using their discretion in such an awkward situation.

Is Eamon Dorans even open from 7-11am?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Believe me, if there was an easier way to gain access I'd take it.
    What about parking behind the Central Bank? I think that there is also pay'n'display parking on Upper Fownes Street.

daymobrew wrote:
    What about parking behind the Central Bank? I think that there is also pay'n'display parking on Upper Fownes Street.

Is it not pedestrian there too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

The Central Bank has a car park entrance on to a pedestrian-only road. Entry and turn restriction signs (other than ones prohibiting driving the wrong way down a one-way street) always carry a escape clause of "except for access" even if it's not on the sign itself.

Entry and turn restriction signs (other than ones prohibiting driving the wrong way down a one-way street) always carry a escape clause of "except for access" even if it's not on the sign itself.

A pick up at Eamon Dorans wouldn't be access though would it? Are you sure they don't have to state access? You often see "local access only" on roadworks for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

I'd say dropping off a PA is access, and the experience of the musicians here would suggest that most of the Gardaí think so too. I wonder what the clampers think of it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

My personal view here is that a hard line should be taken, once you start making exceptions for some motorists others start chancing their arm too. I think motorists generally (and I speak as one myself) resent any kind of restrictions on where they can and cannot drive and tend to bend the rules if they think they can get away with it. A pedestrian zone is for pedestrians only.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cormie wrote:
    Is Eamon Dorans even open from 7-11am?
    When do you think they get the beer?

Advertisement