Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should taxi's use the port tunnel FOC.

Options
  • 22-04-2007 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I know I never post in this forum ,but I do read up .
    Lately I have been talking to Taxi Drivers and presumed they can use the port tunnel free of charge.
    I would have thought this would promote business men using taxi's because the taxi's would only charge for the journey and not the toll.
    I don't have a taxi and don't know anyone with one directly ,but surely letting taxi's use the tunnel is a good thing ??

Should Taxi's have access to port tunnel Free of Charge? 33 votes

Yes ,I could park my car .
    0% 0 votes
    No ,Trucks and Buses only.
    30% 10 votes
    I live in the city centre ,I don't care.
    66% 22 votes
    I would get a bus through it ,if I could park my car.
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I dont even think they should be allowed use bus lanes, but thats another thread, so no.

Letting them use it will just mean taxi will get more fares but there will be as much traffic on the roads. Your just saving people who can afford to get taxi's everyday a little time (depending on where they are coming from/going to) They can already use bus lanes so theres no real advantage as they arent really part of normal traffic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

_Brian_ wrote:
    I know I never post in this forum ,but I do read up .
    Lately I have been talking to Taxi Drivers and presumed they can use the port tunnel free of charge.
    I would have thought this would promote business men using taxi's because the taxi's would only charge for the journey and not the toll.
    I don't have a taxi and don't know anyone with one directly ,but surely letting taxi's use the tunnel is a good thing ??
    Why all the apostrophes Brian? You are not denoting the possessive case so it should simply be "taxis"! ;) Apologies for being pernickety. :)

Back on topic: I think that the intention was to make the DPT as hassle free as possible for truck entering and exiting Dublin Port. If the toll for taxis was removed and a considerable portion were to begin using it, it may become more congested and defeat the intention.

This thread would be more appropriate in Commuting and Transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Why all the apostrophes Brian? You are not denoting the possessive case so it should simply be "taxis"! ;) Apologies for being pernickety. :)

Wouldn't threads be easier for everyone to follow without diversions for grammer and spelling lessons? They are like a virus everywhere on Boards and contribute nothing other than interruptions to the topic. As long as the message is not compromised, please pernickety folk, dont feel you have to share your perfect English with the rest of the world.

No offence meant Wishone. :) There's many who dont seem to be able to resist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's always funny though when one of the pedants makes a mistake in his'her post, as above. (The plural of truck is trucks, Wishbone).

On topic, a lot of taxis are using the tunnel and apparently customers are happy to pay the toll to save time. I think abolishing the toll for taxis would lead to congestion. They'd constantly use it, whether or not they had a fare on board.

As an aside, a friend of mine who drives a taxi says that Airport - IFSC at peak times costs roughly the same using the tunnel as taking the M1 and is obviously much faster through the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You're correct killbill, at peak times, it's almost worthwhile for a passenger to pay the toll fee and the fare will be roughly the same.

Simple solution, taxis can use it for free if they have a fare.
    Airport to IFSC is an extremly common run for taxi drivers, I'd say.

If the taxi has no passenger, then they pay same as normal. And don't talk any excuses that they are on their way to pick up a fare on the other side of the tunnel. Taxi drivers are great lads for taking advantage of something.

Sounds like common sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I don't mind be pointed to correct grammar at all ,but if I hadn't of wrote taxi's ,I probably would have written taxies.
    But the chance of me writing/typing about taxis again in my lifetime is fairly low.
    Where are the taxi's when you need them hey ?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

micmclo wrote:

Simple solution, taxis can use it for free if they have a fare.
    Airport to IFSC is an extremly common run for taxi drivers, I'd say.

If the taxi has no passenger, then they pay same as normal. And don't talk any excuses that they are on their way to pick up a fare on the other side of the tunnel. Taxi drivers are great lads for taking advantage of something.

Sounds like common sense to me.

Are taxis not only supposed to use the bus lanes when they have a fare? look how well that one works out. Most taxis I see during peak times in bus lanes are empty (bar the driver of course :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sandwich wrote:
    Wouldn't threads be easier for everyone to follow without diversions for grammer and spelling lessons?
    Sandwich wrote:
    No offence meant Wishone. :)
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Stekelly wrote:
    Are taxis not only supposed to use the bus lanes when they have a fare? look how well that one works out. Most taxis I see during peak times in bus lanes are empty (bar the driver of course :) )

Fair point, but some strict enforcment at the toll plaza will sort that out.
    And if they travel southbound with no fare, don't fine them-just tell them to turn around and go back up the tunnel.

That'll teach them:)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This thread would be more appropriate in Commuting and Transport.
    Agreed!
    Thread moved!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stekelly wrote:
    I dont even think they should be allowed use bus lanes

I'm of the same opinion, so my feelings are obvious on this

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What about people with private taxis?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote:
    What about people with private taxis?
    People or person?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote:
    People or person?
    MOL + mummy's taxi. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

if they can use it foc anyone can.. i.e the private taxis, taxis etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

I wouldn't let them use the tunnel or the bus lanes or anything. In fact I'd take them all of the road and we'd all be a lot safer

Advertisement