Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting to tv name of cable?

Options
  • 22-04-2007 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

I need a cable to run from my laptop to a lcd tv monitor for a presentation.Anyone know the name of the cable?Hmmh this is probly a very general question but even if someone has a link to a good site?that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

2 questions

what model laptop and more importantly what outputs does it have

then what inputs does the TV have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

hey,

a bit more info is required!!
    over christmas i went to maplins in town, i think jervis st.
    i got my sister an s-video to scart cable, most laptops have an s-video out port and most TVs have quite a number of scart sockets...

the only problem was the picture on the TV had no colour!!!
    I dont know what the reason for this was and actually never sorted it out because my sis had gone back to germany... :D

DM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Hey lads.
    Ya its a toshiba and it only has s-video ,usb and the one that looks like a scart with a screw at each side.Pretty basic stuff.Went to harvey normans but they werent much help they said the s-video would only run video onto the laptop but what M450s sister got is what i need so i mite check it out tomorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The s-video port is almost certainly an output so ignore what the harvey normans guys said.

Komplett sell s-video cables so this is what you need or try to find locally. Any place that sell cables for TV equipment should have an s-video cable try Argos, Maplins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

the cable i got had both an s-video and 3.5mm (headphone) connectors which all went to the scart... connected fine, even though the headphones socket and s-video out port were on opposite sides of the laptop!!

but i dont know why it failed to display the picture in colour on the tv... never actually followed it up!! sound was perfect...

DM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

M450 wrote:
    the cable i got had both an s-video and 3.5mm (headphone) connectors which all went to the scart... connected fine, even though the headphones socket and s-video out port were on opposite sides of the laptop!!

but i dont know why it failed to display the picture in colour on the tv... never actually followed it up!! sound was perfect...

DM

Could have been a dodgy S-Video cable (it does happen even when new) or more likely the laptop was set up to output the video as NTSC as opposed to PAL-I format.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Soundman wrote:
    Could have been a dodgy S-Video cable (it does happen even when new) or more likely the laptop was set up to output the video as NTSC as opposed to PAL-I format.

That is most likely not the case, well not in my experience.

I have posted many times on this very subject - it's to do with the way the cable is constructed. I went through five bloody cables before I got one from s-video.com that actually displayed a colour picture.

No amount of changing settings nor driver updates worked - it was all down to the cable.

Advertisement