Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My '98 collection (so far)

Options
  • 22-04-2007 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Howdy, just doing a bit of recording and catalouging of the ol' collection today and decided to get my 1798 collection together for a group shot.......if your a Nepoleonic wars person etc then you could call it a 'Waterloo Collection' :p as none of these pieces have any providence as having been in Ireland during 1798, nor even have been made in 1798, but they are the exact style/pattern that was in use at the time.

I thought I'd put this in both 'Collectable & Antiques' and 'History & Heritage' as I think it crosses both........maybe not, we'll see.

group.jpg

closeup.jpg

numbered2.jpg

1 - 3rd model, 'India Pattern' Brown Bess (modern made reproduction that I did a little woodworking and 'aging' on myself).

2 - Restored c.1800 light Dragoon pistol. I bought this as a project piece, all the parts, ie lock, barrell and brass fittings are original, but someone had made a crude, non regulation, stock for them........it was pretty hideous :eek:

3 - Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre, this is the latest addition to the collection, it is stamped with the maker make of 'Osborn', meaning tht it was made between 1796 and 1808. Post 1808 such sabres made by Osborn would have been stamped 'Osborn & Gunby'.

4 - Pattern 1796 Infantry Officers Sword, unfortunately its a little damaged, missing its knuckle bow, but some nice etching on the blade!

5 - Circa 1770 Short Land Brown Bess bayonet and rare wooden handle, supposedly this piece came from the battle of Ballinahinch......but there is no way to tell for sure, its 100% from the period.

6 - Small dagger, possibly from 1798 period, again, no way to prove.

7 - Repro 'Kentucky' pistol.

8 - Small pocket pistol.

(The flintlocks pictured above are either antique, or repro therefore not capable of firing!)

Anyhoo, just though someone might like to see the them. If anyone wants to see any individual pics of any of the items just shout!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

thats amazing. Id love to have a look :p . What else have you got and where do you get such materials? How much are you paying. Show me more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi Grimes,

Heres a link to some pics of the rest of my 'gear', mostly WW1/WW2 stuff....that I've sort of moved away from now. I'm still interested in picking up bits from WW1 if possible, but am more interested in the 1798 period now.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054956453&referrerid=&highlight=

How much have I spent.........thats the question, I'm half afraid to add up the figures to be honest because I know I'll get a fright. The last sword I got, the cavalry sabra was an e-bay buy that cost me €160 :eek: ....ah well, somethings only worth as much as you're willing to pay for it.

Most of my stuff I get from the UK, from either e-bay or online militaria dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I just found out two days ago that my Great x ? Grandfolk were Blacksmiths from Boolavogue at the time and my Grand Uncle remembers the Anvil in his Grandfathers house was used to forge the pikes in the rebellion, but he sold it some many years ago :(

boreds wrote:
    I just found out two days ago that my Great x ? Grandfolk were Blacksmiths from Boolavogue at the time and my Grand Uncle remembers the Anvil in his Grandfathers house was used to forge the pikes in the rebellion, but he sold it some many years ago :(

Interesting story mate, pity that anvil is no longer with your family, I guess you could say it was an anvil upon which history was shaped! But still you are fortunate enough to have some interesting family connections to the period, you should do some research and find out more, you never know what interesting stories might turn up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah, I'm definately going to try and look into it. I suppose church records are the best way to go, but unfortunatley having the surname *Murphy means a lot of trudging.

*there have been 'stories' of being related to Fr Murphy too. But I doubt this is true as I just visited his gaff last weekend and the man in the center was pretty clued up and doubted it but he let us in free :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Very nice CroppyBoy1798!

I collect German WWII militaria. Do you have anything from that time?

Best,
    Preusse.

Boreds,

I can see how researching such a name might present you with a few problems, its not exactly an uncommon name eh :D. I dont know if you have seen, read, or heard of the book '98 in Carlow' by Peadar Mac Suibhne, it was printed in the 70's. It goes into a little detail about Father Murphys family connections and relations up to the begining of the 20th century if I remember correctly. Perhaps your research might throw up similar names!

Preusse,

The only German items I have are a WW1 m1916 stahlhelm, a pair of Carl Zeiss 6X30 binoculars in the bakelitte case, a badly pitted bayoney for a kar98, Iron Cross 2nd class and a mess tin (which could be post war :rolleyes: ). What goodies have you got? I'd love to see some pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

...Preusse,

The only German items I have are a WW1 m1916 stahlhelm, a pair of Carl Zeiss 6X30 binoculars in the bakelitte case, a badly pitted bayoney for a kar98, Iron Cross 2nd class and a mess tin (which could be post war :rolleyes: ). What goodies have you got? I'd love to see some pics!

I will hopefully be able to take some this weekend. It's the usual stuff, e.g. helmets, medals, lots of documents. My speciality area is Danzig but most of the material is regular German Reich material such as Iron Crosses, War Merit Crosses etc.

Best,
    Preusse

Advertisement