Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My '98 collection (so far)

• 22-04-2007 12:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭

Howdy, just doing a bit of recording and catalouging of the ol' collection today and decided to get my 1798 collection together for a group shot.......if your a Nepoleonic wars person etc then you could call it a 'Waterloo Collection' :p as none of these pieces have any providence as having been in Ireland during 1798, nor even have been made in 1798, but they are the exact style/pattern that was in use at the time.

I thought I'd put this in both 'Collectable & Antiques' and 'History & Heritage' as I think it crosses both........maybe not, we'll see.

group.jpg

closeup.jpg

numbered2.jpg

1 - 3rd model, 'India Pattern' Brown Bess (modern made reproduction that I did a little woodworking and 'aging' on myself).

2 - Restored c.1800 light Dragoon pistol. I bought this as a project piece, all the parts, ie lock, barrell and brass fittings are original, but someone had made a crude, non regulation, stock for them........it was pretty hideous :eek:

3 - Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre, this is the latest addition to the collection, it is stamped with the maker make of 'Osborn', meaning tht it was made between 1796 and 1808. Post 1808 such sabres made by Osborn would have been stamped 'Osborn & Gunby'.

4 - Pattern 1796 Infantry Officers Sword, unfortunately its a little damaged, missing its knuckle bow, but some nice etching on the blade!

5 - Circa 1770 Short Land Brown Bess bayonet and rare wooden handle, supposedly this piece came from the battle of Ballinahinch......but there is no way to tell for sure, its 100% from the period.

6 - Small dagger, possibly from 1798 period, again, no way to prove.

7 - Repro 'Kentucky' pistol.

8 - Small pocket pistol.

(The flintlocks pictured above are either antique, or repro therefore not capable of firing!)

Anyhoo, just though someone might like to see the them. If anyone wants to see any individual pics of any of the items just shout!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Hi.
    My Grandfather is a local historian of sorts.
    There is a pike lying in the corner of his office that was apparently used in Ballinamuc in Longford during the rebellion.

He has no idea what its monetary value is and I was just wondering if you would have any idea?

Curiosity killed the cat and all that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Dori Duz wrote:
    There is a pike lying in the corner of his office that was apparently used in Ballinamuc in Longford during the rebellion.

He has no idea what its monetary value is and I was just wondering if you would have any idea?

Them old things.....pfftt.....there as common as muck, tell him to send it to me, they have absolutely NO value what so ever (:D :D:p )

But on a serious note, thats quite a posession to have, I would give my right arm (not literally) to have one, it'd top off the collection!! I've persued a couple that popped up on e-bay earlier in the year, if memory serves me right they both sold for over €400 EACH! They werent in particularly good condition, lot of rust, simple design with one protruding slashing hook and 'supposedly' found in the tatch of an old farm house some years back.

If the pike head that your grandad has is in fact actually from 1798, and depending on condition of course, then there is no reason why it shouldnt be worth over the €400 mark!

Now PLEASEEEEEEE tell him to get it out of the corner and display it, I dont like to hear of such a thing being forgotten about ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

for shame, no Pike, were you around during the Comoradh98 things in Wexford, if you were and you know any of the Raheen boys that pike situation may be resolved for a lot less to a genuine collector/enthuseast like yerself, if ya know the bunch y'd know who I was on about, our braver and fearless leader, or that bloke with the big bushy beard who's name escapes me

Tho that Brown bess Bayonet handle is very feckin rare so I'd guess you know a bit about gettin antiques

Aye, no pike, terrible situation eh.......here I am, a avid collector of 1798 memrobilia and I still havent got the one item that the rebellion itself is most famous for.....the pike!

I was only a wee chap during the 1998 commemorations, I was only 15 or so, so didnt have 'that' big an interest, let alone money to be spending. I'm afraid I dont know any of the Raheen boys either......unfortunately.

Anyone want to donate a pike head to a very worthy cause and serious collector of the 1798 period?? :(:o (ah, well, thought I'd try)

Yeah the Brown Bess handle is pretty rare alright, I've only ever seen one more on the net. Story has it that particular bayonet came from the Montalto Estate, near Ballinahinch!

I have oneathome in the shed, its not an original, twas made fer luggin round when doin the commmmerative marches, I cut the handle in half tho & put a metal sleve on it and the screwthinghy off a chimney cleanin rod, _-sawn off pike - tidy unit :D AAAAAAAAAAAAANYWAY I'm ramblin point is PM me and I'll give ya deails on the lad what made.

interestin ornamentatin for the stairs tho at the least

• Advertisement

dont suppose you have any of the comemerative pins, there were some nice ones ?

PM sent.

Sawn off pike......nice! :D The 18th century robbers weapon of choice.

I actually put a request in another forum looking for metal workers whom coule make up a replica pike head, dont think I got any leads though.

I have no pins, I have seen them on e-bay from time to time, they will probably be worth money in years to come but for now they dont catch my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Dori Duz

Thanks Croppyboy. :)
    I can't see him ever getting rid of it. He likes to scare the Americans who flock to our house in the summer to "trace their roots and find who they really are".

There's nothing like the look on an American tourist's face when they spot a 6' 4" 80year old strolling towards the front door wielding a pike to greet them from their long journey.

It's almost as priceless as the expression an Aussi wears when you tell them that their Ancestor was not deported "for he stole Travellions corn, so the young might see the morn" , that according to court records his crime was rape/ murder/ abusing sheep.
    Oh how I love the summer at home. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I have a clay pipe bowl with a shamrock on one side with "Erin go breath" written on it and "Who fears to speak of 98?" written on the other.I found it in the mud from the canal at clane when they were cleaning it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ive seen ones made of aluminium, for reenactment, the guy who had them made died a few years back though.
    Ive seen ones cut out of plate steel aswell, but theyre not thick like the real deal.

Are you looking for something like that or a steel copy?

• Advertisement

Hi Kowloon,

I made a request in the DIY forum a number of months back to see if there were any metal workers out there who could make me up one, I got a contact number, but I mislayed it! :(

Anyway, I wouldnt be lugging it about, or going on marches with it, so weight is not an issue. What I would love in fact is one that was made with hammer and anvil.......just like they were made back then.

But if I cant get that, sure I'd settle for an authentic one :p

Oh, and nice find Degsty, how'd you spot that?

I must throw up another few pictures of the cavalry sabre, its since been cleaned..........with nitromors and wire wool! :eek:......but dont worry, the wire wool was 000 grade and the nitromors was to remove some ugly black paint some previous owner had applied and remove a load of grime and general dirt. You might think it a bit harsh, but that was the advice from sword experts who recommended it to me.

some pikemen at Johnstown Castle 1998

you might like this , twas a great day out, they had a traditional camp with camp followers, and there was important dignitaries inside in the castle - I got to stand Guard at the door cos I had a snazzy waistcoat and a steel pike ( all shiny and everything)

that bloke in the pic is one of the regular marchers from back then, I think some of the pikes inthat photo are the genuine 200+year old article and some are modern reproductions

1798_pikemen.jpg

Advertisement