Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to purchase a property in England when have no property in Ireland ??

Options
  • 22-04-2007 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Anybody know how I could go about getting a mortgage to purchase a property in England when I currently live and work in Ireland ?? Would this have to be done through Irish banks or UK banks ?? I rang the AIB and EBS and once they heard I didnt have a property here already they said werent interested ! Im looking at moving there in the next 2 years or so but would just like to get a foot on the ladder there before I actually move over ,,,,,Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you want to use the UK property as collateral, you will need to get a buy-to-let loan in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

This will be hard to do. The UK banks won't give you credit unless you have an address in the UK. They may find ways around it but it's tough to find people who are willing to do this.

I'd be careful about investing over here at the moment. The interest rate is about to go up again, which is expected to off-set some of the investment potential of property.

At least, I'd wait until after the General Election to see what happens there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to Bank of Ireland, explain your situation and ask them to put you in contact with one of their UK branches.

Advertisement