Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catholic Church in Ireland

Options
  • 21-04-2007 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭

Maybe I should have posted this on the religion board, but here goes anyway.
    Does anyone know what changes were made in the Constitution in relation to the catholic church in 1974. I read somewhere that the Catholic Church lost its "special place".Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The Fifth Amendment referred to the Catholic Church as the offical religion of this State and also made references to the Trinity. Am trying to find a link now but can't. Google for the 1937 constitution and see what you can find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/upload/static/256.htm

The Articles below were deleted;
    Article 44.1.2:

The State recognises the special position of the Holy Catholic Apostolic and Roman Church as the guardian of the Faith professed by the great majority of the citizens.

Article 44.1.3:

The State also recognises the Church of Ireland, the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Methodist Church in Ireland, the Religious Society of Friends in Ireland, as well as the Jewish Congregations and the other religious denominations existing in Ireland at the date of the coming into operation of this Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

What can I say ?
    You lads never cease to amaze me. I was burning the midnight oil trying to finish an essay on secularisation in Ireland.(due on Monday !)
    Got stuck, and you came to the rescue. The information given was exactly what I needed.
    Thanks a million.

Advertisement