Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car security

Options
  • 20-04-2007 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

What's the best discouragement I can fit to my 2004 Golf GTI to keep joyriders from nicking it? In a driveway without locking gates.

Alarm
    Immobiliser
    Yellow thingie on the steering wheel
    remove the badge

All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

nipplenuts wrote:
    What's the best discouragement I can fit to my 2004 Golf GTI to keep joyriders from nicking it? In a driveway without locking gates.

Alarm
    Immobiliser
    Yellow thingie on the steering wheel
    remove the badge

All suggestions welcome

Park it beside an EVO 8 with keys left in ignition :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Its not the type of car that joyriding scumbags will steal. The way I see it...

Joy riders go for performance jap imports and older performance cars, they have no factory alarm or imobiliser and are easy to get into and hotwire. They're not gonna break into your house and steal the keys when they could just go to the next estate and get a type r integra, silvia etc.. alot easier.

Then there are the stolen to order cars. Typical method would be to break into your house, take the keys and drive it off. They go for high priced performance cars, mk5 golf gti being a great example.

So I guess you havea couple of options, the yellow lock on the wheel is pointless imo. I'd put more time into securing your house, if you have double glazing make sure the panes of glass cannot be removed without setting off the alarm, hide the keys when your going to bed...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Anything that is likely to talk a while to open such as bollards or chains are a good deterrent.
    Have some kind of manual fuel pump override installed.
    Maybe get a tracker installed also for quick recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Personally I believe once the car is fairly new the bog standard immobilizer is all you need once it's insured, if it's robbbed it's robbed, nothing you can do unless you work the the ERU or something and keep firearms at home and are comfortable shooting to kill.

Advertisement