Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit question

Options
  • 20-04-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I moved into a rented house in Swords at the start of March. There were problems from the start, but the most important thing was that the bed was broken and colapsed on the 4th night there . This happened just before paddys weekend and I haven't been back since.

I thought that the letting was a bit dodgy when I moved in as I was never asked to sign a lease and the other tenant I was dealing with wanted the deposit and first months rent in cash, which I refused to do and paid by cheque instead. I informed the man tenent of the problem with the bed and I thought that he was going to contact the landlord regarding repairing the bed, however he just put a brick under the bed.

I gave him a months notice at the start of April, just after my paid my second months rent, and he told me that I had to be out by the 21st, even though I've paid to the end of the month! The problem is that he's saying that I may not get my deposit back due to the fact that I have not stayed very long.

Any advise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

Try contacting Treshold to see if they can give you some advice.

http://www.threshold.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sure, contact threshold but you really aren't in a very strong position here. You're most likely a licencee, not a tenant. You don't have any easy recourse against this guy.

Try to figure out the way to get out as quick as possible with the minimum hassle and loss for yourself.

Advertisement