Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IV Badges

Options
  • 20-04-2007 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

After the first IV this year we had a meeting where we discussed getting a company to make us new "getting a particular score at an IV" badges. This was a pretty cool idea that we never discussed again - just giving it a plug here to see if we still like the idea?

What we had suggested was that we use the Irish Student Archery Association symbol for all the badges and change the background coolur for each of the 5 steps - possibly going from white to gold like the target face. We also said that each club could order their own batches of badges and give them to members as required, meaning that poor Dot won't be swamped by archers hungry for badges at the end of each IV.

So, few questions:
    1. Do we want to go with this?
    2. Anyone know a place that will make them?
    3. Do the clubs mind chipping in the green to buy them? Many clubs make cheaper badges I would reckon.

Which Badge Design? (See post #24) 13 votes

Coloured Bar Version
    0% 0 votes
    Coloured Arrow Version
    15% 2 votes
    Coloured Background Version
    15% 2 votes
    Lets not bother
    69% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Memori

I think it was a great idea and that it should still go ahead.
    I'm sure that are plenty of English or even Irish companies that would make the die for the badge and the fact that the enameling will only be single colour should keep the costs down. The only big cost should be the initial set up of the die and that could be easily split between all the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Cool.

I'll look around some companies and try and get some idea of a price. Anyone who has time on their hands can take a gander as well - study time permitting!

If anyone finds prices / designs post them here. Obviously, won't make any kind of a move on this unless all clubs agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

Will those of us with former achievements be able to get these badges :D

Can't see why not!

A score is a score is a score! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭baggins

I'm starting to see a possible issue here.

If we all get these badges, costing who knows how much, then we start awarding them retrospectvely it could get quite costly.

• Advertisement

We could do it how the IAAA (used to?) do it with their awards (I got a couple of them for Junior FITA back in the day) - the archer pays for the badge.

baggins wrote:
    I'm starting to see a possible issue here.

If we all get these badges, costing who knows how much, then we start awarding them retrospectvely it could get quite costly.

As far as I can imagine, the main cost will be the initial set up and minting of the casts for the badges, all clubs can donate towards this. After that then its up to each club to buy a gaggle of badges from the company as required and either charge it to the university or charge the archer who earns the badge - or both.

What ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

Are there still going to be plaques for 550?

I'm getting some next week for Sinead, Noel and you Panserborn (hopefully). Sinead and Noels are definitely a long time coming. If you'd rather wait for badges though I don't mind

ruiner wrote:

I'm getting some next week for Sinead, Noel and you Panserborn (hopefully). Sinead and Noels are definitely a long time coming. If you'd rather wait for badges though I don't mind

If the badges thing works out we probably won't need them in the future as the five levels will work out to be WHITE = advanced, BLACK = 400, BLUE = 450, RED = 500, GOLD = 550. On saying that though, the plaque is a nice touch and could be done in addition to the gold badge. On the subject of the plaque, who pays for them? Not one club/individual I hope :o !!!!

For the minute though, might as well stick to the system we have until any new system is agreed on and is in place.

ruiner wrote:

If the badges thing works out we probably won't need them in the future as the five levels will work out to be WHITE = advanced, BLACK = 400, BLUE = 450, RED = 500, GOLD = 550. On saying that though, the plaque is a nice touch and could be done in addition to the gold badge. On the subject of the plaque, who pays for them? Not one club/individual I hope :o !!!!

For the minute though, might as well stick to the system we have until any new system is agreed on and is in place.

• Advertisement

WTF?

Okay, I don't know why it put that last post in twice - stupid computers :confused::confused::confused:

I'm not really sure, I inherited the badges from toxof.

I presume the cost is split across the colleges. I'm getting quotes for getting the plaques at the minute. The only person so far to actually get one is Ewan. I'm not sure what they are meant to look like

I'll post some high-res pics later if you like.

Thanks. They would be quite handy. You can send them to archery@redbrick.dcu.ie either if that's easier

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

I got money from each of the clubs to cover the initial badges from Altservices. The gold badges for breaking 500 I got from the US myself, organised for them to go to a cousin over there and he sent them on to me.

The plaques were really a case by case basis, so I got Ewans one before I finished up with running things. Sinead got her 550 around the time I finished and I never got around to getting one made. I think a plaque for 550 is nice, depends how common it gets though :P

There are still quite a lot of the 500 badges left, the only ones i started to run out of were the 400 advanced ones.

Only 4 people have broken 550 so far. Only one person this year thankfully so only one plaque to get

ruiner wrote:
    Only one person this year thankfully so only one plaque to get

Sorry! :p

Don't be.

I got to mess about designing a plaque in CAD rather doing some actual work.

Right

After a long Summer of non-answered emails from some companies, crazy quotes from others and outright laughter from the rest, finally managed to get some info from an Irish company on this issue. The company is Lee Brothers (www.leebrothers.ie), they made the pin badge for the Irish Open.

So what do we reckon? Will need to come to some sort of decision if we want to get them up and ready before the first or second IV. As a reminder, the (potential!) plan proposed at a meeting last year was to get the IV badges changed to custom badges with the ISAA symbol, and the background colour changing according to the score - WHITE = advanced, BLACK = 400, BLUE = 450, RED = 500, GOLD = 550.

This is what the company said ..........
    Yes we can produce the type of badge you describe, and changing the colour will not impact on your cost irrespective of the qty’s required.

If you could send me a rough graphic of your design and details of any text you require I will be happy to produce a design. Prices for this type of item will be in the region of € 1.25- € 1.95 depending on the qty required, their will also be a once off set up charge of € 90.00, all prices are subject to vat @ 21% and delivery is usually 4/5 weeks from the date of a confirmed order.
    If we decide to go on this then I don't mind bank-rolling it to get the process started, we can sort out the costs for the set-up charge (little over a tenner per college) and the likes later. Reckon we will need a unanimous agreement from all clubs though. Could a rep from each club let me know what they think either by posting here, PM'ing me or mailing me at macdarag@gmail.com? I'll email each club as well.

• Advertisement

Good job Panserborn...

Can old farts like me get these badges retrospectively?

Ewan

I reckon so.

Maybe all the archers who want to upgrade their old badges could pay a buck and a bit per badge?

................ if this goes ahead! :confused:

Got some designs from Lee Brothers for the potential IV badges. I've attached them to this post (can't get them to display in the post itself - used to be able to!).

The three possibilities are

1. Symbol with a coloured bar at the bottom
    2. Symbol with a coloured arrow
    3. Symbol with a coloured background

Gray on the pictures represents metallic silver

I've placed a poll on this thread as well to let ye vote - democracy and all that malarky. Could ye vote and place a post with which club yer with? Don't mean to be pushy, but could the clubs get back on this 'cause if we want it then times a running short! By the way, I kind of like the coloured bar version - so that was my vote.

Also, they asked for numbers of badges, I said an estimate of 100 White, 100 Black, 75 Blue, 25 Red and 10 Yellow - what do ye think?

EDIT: Ah for the love of ................. I tried looking at the attachments but they didn't seem to display - If ye right click and "save as..." you can download and look at them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

i was just wondering are they the only possible options at badge design.
    because i do think the idea is sound but i would like to see a more creative design.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭span

I Like the symbol with coloured background.

This concludes the voting of the Carlow IT jury:D

i was just wondering are they the only possible options at badge design.
    because i do think the idea is sound but i would like to see a more creative design.

Creative designs increase the cost creatively, but if you have one in mind then .jpg it up and send it on, I'll ask them if its do-able at an affordable price - speed is life though, if ya can, try and have it by Monday or Tuesday if you can.

span wrote:
    This concludes the voting of the Carlow IT jury.

The vote-counters thank you for your time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭thesage

Alright everyone...
    I can't get into the pics... dead link?

Try right clicking and downloading them.

I'll put them on the NUIG website now as well so ye can see them there, will post a link here when they there.

EDIT: Cripes, the things won't up load to the webpage - there must be some kind of protection on the file. Anyone who can't view or download the images just mail me or PM me, I'll email the file directly to ya.

I'd like to order them this week to have them for the first IV, seems that the background one is the most popular so unless someone has extream views against it then will go with that one. If there are any issues or comments on it then voice them - all comments will be considered! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Suaimhneas

Just to catch up with the rest of ye; why are we changing the badges?
    From what i can gather its to unify the sytem of progression within the college iv's?
    I remember hearing of the badge system for the first time I thought they were- well, really good! Learning about all the different bages and their related skill level was one of the best things for me when going to my first iv's, but if they were all so similar, wondering what a 550 badge looked like wouldn't cause half the same effect.
    Though, the voting is right, coloured background is the best! and whoever i've shown it to thinks the same!
    I take it we could also choose to get the old badges still if we wanted, once they're still in stock?

• Advertisement

Suaimhneas wrote:
    Just to catch up with the rest of ye; why are we changing the badges?

Main reason was to have something more standard like the FITA badges in target archery and the FITA ARROWHEAD badges in field archery. They are therefore more recognisable. Also, the badges we were using were cool and swanky, but can be seen on quivers all over the world. The target face one can be bought from any archery supplier, the arrowhead and falcon (eagle? blackbird?) one can be bought from altservices (in fact, anyone who joins their buying club got one for free) and the golden badge was got from a company in Texas. Having a custom made system for ISAA means that when you earn a badge then it will be recognised nationally as a student achievement badge, not one that was bought.

We touched on the subject before, but I reckon the plaque for the 550 is still a nice touch and that tradition could be maintained as well as the archer getting the yellow badge? What say ye?

Advertisement