Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full licence holder on M-way with L plates on Car.Clarify?

Options
  • 20-04-2007 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi,
    My wife is on a full licence and I am on a provisional with a test in 7 weeks. She believes that as a full licence holder she can get penalty points driving with L plates on the car on the motorway. As she is on the M-way almost daily the L plates get removed and I have to buy new ones.
    I believe it is no Learners on the motorway and the L plate is irrelevant. The signs going on to the motorway say no L-Drivers.
    Who is right? Any links to official answers would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Hi,
    My wife is on a full licence and I am on a provisional with a test in 7 weeks. She believes that as a full licence holder she can get penalty points driving with L plates on the car on the motorway. As she is on the M-way almost daily the L plates get removed and I have to buy new ones.
    I believe it is no Learners on the motorway and the L plate is irrelevant. The signs going on to the motorway say no L-Drivers.
    Who is right? Any links to official answers would be appreciated.

No points... 100% on that...

People argue all day here on weather its illegal or now , but no one can find any law against it..... (it is in the uk)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

You can get rubber/light plastic ones that can be put and taken down...

I know of people who use the motorways continuously with L plates and have never had any problems, plus I would imagine the garda would have to stop you and have a chat rather than just take your reg no. and send out the points, at which point you could appeal in any case.

Strictly though I would say just get the L-plates which can be easily put up/taken down... I assume you're using sticky ones at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Are L-plates mandatory for 1st provisionals in the first instance, and 2nd provisionals in the second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

I'm not worried about the Garda, its the Missus! Anyway I checked the new ROTR and shes right...again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

She's right? huh? how could that be an offence?

• Advertisement

OP I don't see any mention of full licence driver with L plates being liable for penalty points on the penatlypoints.ie website? I would be extremely supprised if it is an offence.

EDIT: In fact it does not mention anything about receiving penalty points for not displaying an L plate as a learner driver at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Technically speaking the L-plates must be removed by the fully licensed driver when they are driving the car but I'm fairly sure that there is no penalty point offense that covers this.

You can get L-plates that can be easily removed and re-placed on a per driver basis.

Technically speaking the L-plates must be removed by the fully licensed driver when they are driving the car but I'm fairly sure that there is no penalty point offense that covers this.

You can get L-plates that can be easily removed and re-placed on a per driver basis.
    I don't think there is any law that says you cannot have an L plate whilst your car if you are a full licence holder. Driving instructors would be breaking the law then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

can you point to a law / act / goverment website / rules of road where it says this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Definitely not a penalty point offence.

The full list of penalty point offences are on www.penaltypoints.ie , you'll find nothing about full licence holder wearing L-plates in either the active penalty points section or the proposed penalty points section.
    Syxpack wrote:
    Are L-plates mandatory for 1st provisionals in the first instance, and 2nd provisionals in the second?

L-plates are mandatory for everyone driving a car with a provisional licence. The only thing different about a 2nd provisional is the waving of the driving accompanied rule. It carries every other provisional licence restriction.

It is the law in the UK that you must take down the L-plates if you're a fully licenced driver. (A friend of mine was driving my car up North before and we got pulled by a PSNI officer and she was given a right bollocking over the plates).

Where in the new RotR did you find a similar law for the Republic? I had a quick look through them for that law before and I didn't find anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

From page 119 of the rules of the road:
    people who do nothold a full driving licence for the category of vehicle
    they drive,
    vehicles incapable of a speed of at least 50km/h,
    vehicles with an engine capacity of 50cc. or less,
    people driving on ‘L’ plates,
    invalid-carriages,
    vehicles that do not use inflated tyres,

It's a bit ambiguous but I would say removing the L-Plates would be the correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Mr Pinchy123

jhegarty wrote:
    No points... 100% on that...

People argue all day here on weather its illegal or now , but no one can find any law against it..... (it is in the uk)...

i agree totally!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

fasty wrote:
    From page 119 of the rules of the road:

people driving on ‘L’ plates

It's a bit ambiguous but I would say removing the L-Plates would be the correct.

I would say the difference is that a fully licensed driver would be driving 'with' L plates as opposed to 'on' i.e. a learner who is driving is dependent on them having L plates.

As posted above get the reapplyable plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,956 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would have thought so too, but they do explicitly mention "full licence holders" a few lines up:
    people who do nothold a full driving licence for the category of vehicle they drive,
    invalid-carriages,
    vehicles that do not use inflated tyres

So if "people driving on L-plates" refers to learner drivers, then one of those statements is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Stark wrote:
    I would have thought so too, but they do explicitly mention "full licence holders" a few lines up:

people who do nothold a full driving licence for the category of vehicle they drive,
    invalid-carriages,
    vehicles that do not use inflated tyres

So if "people driving on L-plates" refers to learner drivers, then one of those statements is redundant.
    Yes, the second one is unnecessary as the first one would also automatically cover learner drivers on vehicles which are not required to display 'L' plates, whereas the second doesn't.

Advertisement