Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spare car keys, immobiliser, brown key, what?

Options
  • 20-04-2007 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Time for another stupid question from microgirl! :D

Bought a second-hand car a couple of months ago, only got one key with it - they said there should have been a spare but they couldn't find it. I have no idea if the car has an immobiliser or not, and I'm wondering how do I know? I suspect it might, because there is a light-up immobiliser icon that comes up on the dash when starting, and the key shape is more like that given in the manual for an immobiliser-key rather than an ordinary key (fear my scientific powers of deduction!), but I don't actually know. My key is not brown. Or red. And I can't remember what the "brown key" is supposed to be for anyway :)

There is also a little black box thingy hanging from the key (a fob? Who knows?! :)) that looks kind of like it might be a remote-cl, um, remote, with a button that makes a little green LED on the fob thingy light up when you press it, but does absolutely nothing else that I can determine. I can not establish if this is indeed a remote-cl device, that for some reason isn't working, or if it's an immobiliser fob, or something entirely different, like an alarm. Or a secret dog whistle. Honestly, no idea.

And ultimately I guess what I'm trying to figure out is a) does my car have an immobiliser or not and b) can I get a spare key for it either if it does or it doesn't.

I know no-one here can give me an unequivocal answer on the former, but just some advice on what to look for in order to determine answers to my questions myself. The second part though (can spare keys readily be got for cars with immobilisers) should be answerable.

There's a main Hyundai dealer down the road here in Fairview, and if they're open tomorrow I shall be heading in to them to ask, and I'll contact the guy I bought it from to see if he ever found that spare, but right now it's 7:30 in the evening so neither of those two options are open to me, and you lovely people are all right here, hiding in my computer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

OK - it's a Hyundai. But what model and what year?

Can you post a pic of the fob?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Most main dealers can order a spare key for you using the chassis number of the car; they don't even need the original key to do that. Just bring proof of ownership and ID with you.

As for the alarm, is there a small key with it, or what looks like a small lock under the bonnet beside something that looks like a speaker? It may be that an aftermarket alarm has been installed, but has been turned off or deactivated. This may also be linked to central locking.

Do all of the locks in the car open when you unlock it with the key, or just the one you're using the key in?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭microgirl

crosstownk wrote:
    OK - it's a Hyundai. But what model and what year?

D'oh! Thought I'd said. Muppet :)

2001 Accent GLS. Can't remember the name of the url I used use to get car specs to see what came as standard on this car.
    Can you post a pic of the fob?

Hmm, that'd be helpful, wouldn't it? Unfortunately no, I can't. For some reason my phone (my only pic-taking device atm) refuses to talk to my computer. Or maybe my computer refuses to listen. Either way, no communication is going on.

It's a small, regular rectangle, with a very distinct round button on it. More like a recessed doorbell than the slight-bas-relief-icon-bit-contiguous-with-the-main-plastic that I'm most familar with for central locking. It's attached to the steel keyring by a small loop of leather, rather than being part of the key. I'll try and see if can get a picture up some way. Although....does one need online hosting to post image links?

Fey! wrote:
    Most main dealers can order a spare key for you using the chassis number of the car; they don't even need the original key to do that. Just bring proof of ownership and ID with you.

Cool, thank you :)
    As for the alarm, is there a small key with it, or what looks like a small lock under the bonnet beside something that looks like a speaker? It may be that an aftermarket alarm has been installed, but has been turned off or deactivated. This may also be linked to central locking.

Alarm? Is that what that fob thing is for? There's certainly supposed to be an alarm, or at least there's alarm stickers on the window, and things that look like sensors. But no, have no small key. Will look for small lock under bonnet.
    Do all of the locks in the car open when you unlock it with the key, or just the one you're using the key in?

Oh it's definitely gont central locking - I'm clueless, but not that clueless ;) - all locks go with driver lock. I just don't know if it has *remote* central locking or not, or if it's meant to. Before I go giving out to the dealer like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your car should have an immobiliser which is built into the key. I reckon the fob is an alarm remote which, at a guess, is probably an aftermarket addition. Does the alarm fob/remote/telecommander have any brand name on it - eg: Sikura, Scorpion, Meta, etc, etc? The alarm probably has an immobiliser function, but I doubt it's connected. Most alarm fitters dont bother fitting the immobiliser function when a car has a factory fit immobiliser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's also very probable that the battery in the fob is dead. You should be able to get a replacement battery in Maplins in Jervis St. for about €2. Is there a little 'hole' or red LED on the fob? Does this light up when you press the button? If so, and if not, the fob needs a new battery.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    It's also very probable that the battery in the fob is dead. You should be able to get a replacement battery in Maplins in Jervis St. for about €2. Is there a little 'hole' or red LED on the fob? Does this light up when you press the button? If so, and if not, the fob needs a new battery.

Green LED rather than red, and it does light up (at least, 90% if the time it lights up :)). Not sure how I'd get a replacement battery in though, as there doesn't seem to be any way of accessing the inside of the fob. Not without breaking it in half at any rate :) Eh, sure I'll bring it to my mechanic and see if he can do anything with it, or recommend an electricals guy or something. Just even knowing as much as ye've been able to tell me is great, so I know what to ask people when I go to them.

crosstownk - No brand name that I recall, and I don't have the fob atm as I cunningly left my keys in work yesterday. I r so smrt. :o

Advertisement