Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I tell if tenant is going into my room??

Options
  • 20-04-2007 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭

I am renting a room in my house to a guy in his 20's, seems a geniune fella but recently i am beginning to suspect he is going into my bedroom when i'm not in the house, i had no real "proof" but yesterday i am 99% convinced i left by bedroom light on leaving and it was off when i came home. I dont want to accuse him in the wrong so i am wondering is there any way to know if hes been in the room? i was thinking something along the lines of sellotape between the door and frame that would come off when opened....... any suggestions people, surely some james bond types out there have something useful?????????????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Booby Trap Bomb. Use a mercury tilt switch on the door handle.

Or a piece of paper between the door and frame. If it has fallen down, the door has been opened.

Webcam with a motion sensor trained on the door. (you could watch it from work.)

Smear your own excrement on the back of the door handle and watch to see if he is sniffing his hand in an odd fashion that evening.

Or ask him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

leave door slightly ajar, bucket of red paint on top of door, big mess but no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

if you left your bedroom light on, he may have turned it off in an effort to save you folks some money... i know someone going into your bedroom isn't ok, but he may think you leaving the light on and wasting money isn't ok. make a big song and dance about having to check something in his room accompanied by 'i don't feel right going into your room, but i need to check the.....'. this'll make him realise that you don't like other people in your bedroom and it may stop...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Balance a hair on top of the outer and inner door handles. Check if its still there when you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

D_Red_Army wrote:
    i had no real "proof" but yesterday i am 99% convinced i left by bedroom light on leaving and it was off when i came home. I dont want to accuse him in the wrong so i am wondering is there any way to know if hes been in the room?
    Nothing wrong there :confused: If i saw a light left on in somone else's room, id turn it off to save a few quid.

Or has their been other things, OP, you should elaborate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Wire the handle to the mains bypassing the fuse board if possible. If there is something crispy hanging from the door on your return you need a new tenant.:D

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Tails142

yeah he probably just saw the light on and turned it off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

He is obviously going in there to sniff your soiled underwear. You should nip this in the bud. Ever wake in the night to find him standing over you, just watching you sleep, because you look 'so peaceful'?

Sleep with a steaknife under your pillow until you can evict him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

If its a shared ESB bill then i think he was well within his rights...

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Also watch out for the toilet bowl looking unusually clean and any possible displacement of your toothbrush. You can't be too careful.

Cal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Sprinkle some talcum powder on the floor inside the door where it can't be seen from the outside. If you see a footprint in it you will know who it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Key, Door, Lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ctc_celtic

i set a trap of this once before, i rolled a piece of tinfoil into a ball and in the morning when leaving, i closed out the door enough to reach my hand around the inside to put the ball up against the door, when i came home i open the door enough to feel is the ball was still there. (place the ball close to the hinge, so it wont be noticed flying across the room.
    in my case, the ball did't move for a week, guess i was just paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Key, Door, Lock.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cop on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ctc_celtic wrote:
    i set a trap of this once before, i rolled a piece of tinfoil into a ball and in the morning when leaving, i closed out the door enough to reach my hand around the inside to put the ball up against the door, when i came home i open the door enough to feel is the ball was still there. (place the ball close to the hinge, so it wont be noticed flying across the room.
    Ooh i likes that idea. Clever. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

ctc_celtic wrote:
    I used kinda the same idea but used a sock. It worked too as a few times when i came home it was way behind the door. I found out the code for the key for the lock on my door and kept it locked from then on.

Advertisement