Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

accountant questions

• 20-04-2007 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭

All the accountancy bodies and how to get qualified is very confusing to me so I have a few questions

heres my back ground first, Im 28 years old and I have a 3rd level chemistry diploma level 7 from i.t carlow I also haven't done accountacy in the leaving cert I did do economics though.

Basically if i wanted to become a chartered accountant what are my options and how long would it take?

How long would it take someone with an accounting technican qualification?

is it too late to apply to do it this sep?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭juanveron45

To become an accounting technican you will need two years work experience, will companies take you on if you are just starting the course and have no previous experience in accounts, and havent even done accounting in the leaving?

Does it matter which professional organisation one joins after one has there ba in accounting, just say I got my ba from it waterford is there any advantages of icai or acca or cima or cpa ireland,which is best?

How difficult are those exams in those professional bodies,what percentage in each exam do you have to get?

Finally in theory once one has there BA whats the shortest length of time its takes to become a professional accountant after joining one of the professional bodies, whats the expected time?

if some has a B.A in accounting from W.I.T the following subjects are exempt for the professional exams

F1: All subjects
    F2: All subjects
    P1: Auditing (Only if Auditing option passed)
    P1: Management & Strategy
    P1: Financial Accounting
    P1: Strategic Management Accounting

How long with these exeptions would in take to actually complete the exams with a professional body and how long would they take without these exemptions?

Also which of the pro bodies is the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

if some has a B.A in accounting from W.I.T the following subjects are exempt for the professional exams

F1: All subjects
    F2: All subjects
    P1: Auditing (Only if Auditing option passed)
    P1: Management & Strategy
    P1: Financial Accounting
    P1: Strategic Management Accounting

How long with these exeptions would in take to actually complete the exams with a professional body and how long would they take without these exemptions?

Also which of the pro bodies is the best?

What Org is that with, Juan - That's a shocking amount of exemptions for an accounting degree. Does that mean you'd go from your degree to your prof finals?!?

*edit* The little known IIPA is based in Waterford. Is this the organisation that's giving such generous exemptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

That looks like CPA and its pretty accurate.

I got 8 exemptions out of 16 exams. ( I did Accounting and Finance in DCU)
    I have to sit the management accounting and finanical accounting papers for both F2 and P1 because I didnt get 50% (CPA pass mark) in these modules in college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I did the BA in Accounting at WIT and took Auditing as an elective.Im doing ACCA.
    I got exempt from all prof one and two and started in at prof 3 , that WIT degree really is a good one exemption wise as not al colleges let you do the auditing and get the exemption there.

How difficult is accounting in WIT? do you need to have a talent for it or if you work at it you will get through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I did the BA in Accounting at WIT and took Auditing as an elective.Im doing ACCA.
    I got exempt from all prof one and two and started in at prof 3 , that WIT degree really is a good one exemption wise as not al colleges let you do the auditing and get the exemption there.

Yeah - that looks very good. Just checked and you get exemptions up to the first nine papers - possibly just 5 to do. That's pretty good alright, especially the auditing exemption.

With that said, I'd imagine a person would be in for a surprise (not that I know anything about WIT) going from college exams to ACCA marked exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Oh yes!

I struggled sumtin wicked to even get my degree but Im really struggling with the ACCA exams , its tough going :( That degree course is no walk in the park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Just to add a little more to that, I also graduated from WIT with the BA in Accounting degree and I have to say it really is great for exemptions - I'm doing ACA now, got full Prof 1 & 2 exemptions (unlike most people from UCC, Trinity, UCD etc.) and also the Prof 3 exams are very doable as I have covered almost all of the material in college

ACCA exams are supposed to be very difficult i've heard, but that applies to graduates from any course.

The degree itself is relatively challenging but if you put in a fairly consistent level of effort from the very start it's quite easy to pass and a 2.1 is fairly achievable too without crazy levels of work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement