Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a teacher of Norwegian

Options
  • 20-04-2007 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hey there,

I am looking for a native teacher of Norwegian with experience to give private classes of intermediate level!

It’s rather important and urgent!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Hey there,

I am looking for a native teacher of Norwegian with experience to give private classes of intermediate level!

It’s rather important and urgent!

Thank you.

I may be able to help you. Where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 aguafiestas

Hi Sabre Man,

Thanks for your reply. I actually live in Dublin. Would that suit you?

aguafiestas

Thanks for your reply. I actually live in Dublin. Would that suit you?

Only if you're able to come to Mallow I'm afraid.

EDIT: Perhaps the Norwegian embassy in Dublin can put you in contact with someone in Dublin?

That’s a pity…
    I tried the embassy before. That’s how I found my current teacher, who is very good actually.
    The difficulty here, though, is that we do not have a book to follow. We do not have an intermediate level Norwegian or some other learning materials for non-beginners. And it’s less organized than I would have liked the classes to be.
    If you are familiar with any book that can be used, I would be grateful if you could let me know. If you do not mind, of course.

Thank you in advance,

m.

Have you tried the big Dublin bookshops? I'm guessing they must have some books of other learning materials.

• Advertisement

Hey,

You'd be amazed at the absence of language books in Dublin. Loads of stuff for French, Spanish, etc, but nothing substantial for Norwegian. To get the dictionary I had to order one through the International Bookshop and wait for 3 weeks. In fairness to them, they are the best bookshop for languages here. They can get anything as long as you know what you are looking for.
    The problem with language books is that many many of the newly published materials are of very low quality and aimed at people who want to learn a language in a week. It's all basic.
    It seems easy, but in fact it's not. Good books are rare these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I am currently doing a Norwegian language class in Dublin.. if you want I can ask the teachers if they would be interested

Hi Ginger,

Thank you very much for that.
    I would be grateful if you could ask your teacher about Norwegian.
    Where do you study, by the way?

Thanks,

a.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

In the Sandford Language institute, they do a number of courses of varying levels...

I will enquire with both of them and see what they can do for you

Hi Ginger,

Thanks for the help, but I believe I know who is teaching you in Sandford. He was my teacher as well for a while. He is great, but he does not teach at an advanced level and I am sort of stuck at the moment.
    Besides, the Sandford people are just greedy. They charge 40 euro plus to have private lessons with their teachers.

Thank you anyways.

a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Hi aguafiestas,

I'm Irish myself but i moved to southern Norway 1 year ago to live.
    The local town or Kommuner organize language courses for foreigners which are excellent, they take an approach of no English translation, just pure Norwegian, its hard at first but you soon get the hang of it.

The book we use is called:

Ny i Norge

You can try get a copy here, im not really sure were to buy it though:
    http://www.amazon.com/NY-I-Norge/dp/8211001241

There is also some audio CDs and PC software that come with it.

Hope that helps.

JC

Hi Overflow,
    Thanks for that. I know the book. In fact I covered it all with my teacher and I am looking for something more advanced at this stage.
    What other books would you recommend?
    Takk...
    a.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭EVGR

Have you looked at the book shop "Modern Languages" in Pearse street?

I think Trinity College does a programme in Germanic languages. Maybe Norwegian is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Advertisement