Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions

Options
  • 20-04-2007 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    i have a few questions maybe you could help me out with. I've been doing some simple joinery for a few months now and Im looking to move onto something more challenging. I picked up some Ash yesterday which is cut pretty rough, and hope to make a cabinet . Fist of all is there any need to dry out wood? I dont have a Table saw, band saw or miter saw so Im looking for suggestions on how to take the rough edges off reducing thickness. Would a hand plane provide enough accuracy for the job? I dont really mind how long it takes to do by hand. Lastly any suggestions for good makes of table saws at reasonaable prices. Hope you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Hi Murray, yes, wood needs to be dry before making cabinets etc.If not the wood will shrink and split when it eventually dries, which it will do too quickly in a centrally heated house. I think the normal percentage is about 18%, anything above and you will get movement and probably splitting.The usual way to dry wood, unless it has been kiln dried in a wood yard, is to place it a covered place with lots of air circulation. This can takes years depending on the size and thickness of the boards. You could cut the pieces down to sizes just above what you will need for your cabinet which may reduce your waiting time. If you haven't any power tools a hand plane will have to do, it's the original way things were done and there is no harm in learning. Although power tools have come way down iin price, you pay for what you get. So if you get a tablesaw for €100 it's not going to do the job well or for long. I've seen robust table saws for about €500 in Mcquillans which look well made, but the only way to know for sure is to use it.Best of luck with your cabinet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭boysie39

Murray13 wrote:
    Hi lads,
    i have a few questions maybe you could help me out with. I've been doing some simple joinery for a few months now and Im looking to move onto something more challenging. I picked up some Ash yesterday which is cut pretty rough, and hope to make a cabinet . Fist of all is there any need to dry out wood? I dont have a Table saw, band saw or miter saw so Im looking for suggestions on how to take the rough edges off reducing thickness. Would a hand plane provide enough accuracy for the job? I dont really mind how long it takes to do by hand.any suggestions for good Lastly makes of table saws at reasonaable prices. Hope you can help.
    Hi murray , I sent you a PM give me a ring Boysie39

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Murray13

wood needs to be dry before making cabinets etc.If not the wood will shrink and split when it eventually dries, which it will do too quickly in a centrally heated house. I think the normal percentage is about 18%, anything above and you will get movement and probably splitting.

Thanks for the advise, i have cut the boards to size + a little and stashed the to dry further. appreciate the help,
    Murray

Advertisement