Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 Hyundai Coupe - Opinions?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

So having finally left college behind and got a proper job I now some cash to retire my faithful '89 Toyota, and the 1.6 Hyundai Coupe caught my eye.

I'm looking for a car that looks good, and I'm not interested in performance or getting crucified on premiums by insurance companies who think 21 year old males are the spawn of Satan.

I realise its not a performance or sporty car, but how is it apart from that? I'd presume they'd be reliable being Korean, with decent car kit, but is there any points to look out for when buying second hand?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

if you have had a car a while, i don't think the 2.0 coupe would be out of the question. I have been looking at it too recently - and the premiums weren't that different between the 1.6 and the 2.0, €200 to €300, and thats on a full licence a 1 year NCB, you'd prob get better. Also, the 2.0 comes with climate control; and isn't much more expensive second hand then the 1.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Have you just qualified as a hairdresser?? :D

Tbh these cars remind me of those cheesy 80s songs, you know the ones that when you're in company you tell people how sh!te they are but when you're alone in the car you find yourself turning the radio up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I had one back in 02 when the new model came out first - there were very very few on the road at the time (obviously quite a few more now) - I only had it for 2 years but I was happy with it. Quite nippy for a 1.6 and felt sporty. I must say the gear box was really impressive. There were a couple of small rattles which I never really got to the bottom of, and its obvious that the back seats are really only for children or amputees. TBH I dont think the 2L has much more in the line of performance. The 2.7L from memory only had around 180 BHP.

Overall I was happy but make sure it has been minded and not too many rattles

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I have one (2002, 1.6). Its very reliable but won't be setting any speed records! I ignore the hairdresser comments :rolleyes:.
    Biggest problem with it is rubbish rear visibility but this is common with most coupes. I must agree on the gearbox, it feels really good and quick.

I'm about to turn 25 so I plan to trade it early next year, hopefully for a 4-or-so year old BMW 320Cd (2 ltr diesel coupe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

They're OK. Neither exceptional nor rubbish. A happy medium!! I don't mind the looks, the standard alloys could be nicer, but I don't like the interior at all. But if you do then go for it and make sure that it doesn't have those crap korean tyres still on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i always made fun of my cousin for driving his but then i took it for a few months as my own car was sick and i have to say, i still thinks its a girly car but i loved it all the same and didnt bother me one bit when people slagged it off. the black leather with red stiching looks great if you get leather interior.

Only thing i didnt like was the fuel tank was smaller then the one on my 206 and as its thirsty i was always refueling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

I'm not expecting an amazing car, cheap and cheerful will do it for me. :) So no-one has had major issues with them? It's something that will get me through a few years until i can afford my GTi :D

the sunroof isnt that well built and can break easily as i found out while trying to park it up in the city centre. almost got it stuck open which would not have been good for my nerves while i was away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The coupe looks great imho! It looks better than most sports cars, especially around this price level. Lots of looks for very little money :)

I find it hard to believe that it was designed by someone from the far east. I sure hope I'll be proved wrong. Anyone have any links to who actually designed it?

its a very fun car too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

As far as I know its a Pininfarina design. Yes, that Pininfarina.

unkel wrote:
    I find it hard to believe that it was designed by someone from the far east. I sure hope I'll be proved wrong. Anyone have any links to who actually designed it?

I know someone mentioned Pininfarina, but afaik it was designed in house in Hyundai's Californian design studio. ("Hyundai California Design Center")

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ChowChow

I'm quite sure the 2002 onwards coupe was designed by Pininfarina. I have owned a 2.0l gen 3 for a couple of years and, apart from two small problems with it on delivery, never had any issues apart from the usual squeaks and rattles. The engine doesn't really like to be revved hard, but it goes well enough. Depreciation on the 2L is fairly hefty, less so on the 1.6, but this is to your benefit buying used. I have to say, I just don't get it with those morons slagging it off as a girly car or whatever. OP, you're making a good decision, the coupe is a cool car - I know people your age who go out and buy a 4-door saloon (mondeo/passat etc) and look absolutely ridiculous in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

What are they like on the juice. The misses is thinking of trading her Grand Vitara 1.6 for the Coupe, thirsty ba***rd, my own 1.8 would do twice what hers does. Wouldn't mind, but when she was buying the gv1600 I had also found a nice Coupe, but she wanted the Suzuki.

I get mid thirties mpg on the 1.6. The 2.0 is apparently roughly the same for fuel consumption. The 2.7 v6 is allegedly a gas guzzler that develops a mere 167bhp despite its relatively large cubic capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I like those cars. Here's what honestjohn has to say about them, and I totally agree:

What's Bad

Doesn't go anywhere in the snob stakes except among people who don't know what it is and merely see it as a very good looking car.

What to Watch Out For

Literally no complaints.

Hyundai Coupe 2.0SE Road Test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Well it sounds good, you all have me convinced! Time to hit carzone and see what's available and try and get a test drive tomorrow. Actually one final question, I'm a tall guy, 6'3, would I have problems fitting in?

You may have problems alright, at least in ones with a sunroof which lowers the headroom a couple of inches. I'm about 6'1 and my head has millimetres to spare before hitting the roof with sunroof fitted!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,100 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Stephen wrote:
    You may have problems alright, at least in ones with a sunroof which lowers the headroom a couple of inches. I'm about 6'1 and my head has millimetres to spare before hitting the roof with sunroof fitted!

That's a universal problem for tall people and cars with sunroofs. I'm just under 6'2 and have the seat in my BMW 7-series near the lowest position. I've only a couple of centimeters to spare...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I didn't realise that the good looking coupe was out in 2002. I'd have one anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,171 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The sunroof in the Coupe retracts outwards rather than retracting into the roof itself. Still though the headroom is pretty tight due to the nature of the design.

All Irish Coupes had a tilt/slide sunroof as standard, the UK 1.6 model didn't have one as it had air conditioning instead.

Advertisement