Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rwc 2007 Teams

Options
  • 19-04-2007 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Well, as a SA rugby player I am really looking forward to the next few months and also the WC. We are indeed the dark horse so therefore we have nothing to loose, which will just be that extra motivation our players need. I have supported Ireland for the past 7 years especially against the POMS :D but I don't think the autumn winnings of 06 will make a difference to how SA or Ireland is going to perform in the WC. I do believe that the bigger nations are showing more respect to Ireland now (and dead right so).

Here is a potential 3 teams SA can choose from for the world cup based on current and the past 3 year's S14, Tri-Nations and currie cup. Two of the three teams have on both occasions beat the ABs:

15. Percy Montgomery/ JP Pietersen / Conrad Jantjies
    14. Akona Ndungane / Breyton Paulse / Frans Steyn
    13. Jaque Fourie / Wynand Olivier / Marius Joubert
    12. Jean de Villiers / De Wet Barry / Wayne Julies
    11. Bryan Habana / / Jongi Nokwe / Henno Mentz
    10. Andre Pretorius / Butch James / Jaco vd Westhuizen
    9. Fourie du Preez / Enricho January / Ruan Pienaar
    8. Joe van Niekerk / Pierre Spies / Geo Cronje
    7. Juan Smith / AJ Venter / Jaque Botes
    6. Schalk Burger / Pedrie Wannenburg / Wikus van Heerden
    5. Victor Matfield / Albert vd Berg / Johann Muller
    4. Bakkies Botha / Danie Rossouw / Ross Skeate
    3. BJ Botha / CJ vd der Linde / Eddie Andrews
    2. John Smit / Gary Botha / Schalk Britz
    1. Os du Randt / Lawrence Sephaka / Deon Carstens

The team in red is the team that played against Ireland minus a few players that are not good enough at the moment. I had to throw in a few players and positions with question marks but we have political interverence and don't have the luxury of choosing our 15 best. My choice for a first team will be the first player of of each number and Frans Steyn instead of Akona Ndungane but that's not going to happen.

As for Ireland, you have a very good chance of reaching the semi's and I'll be chearing for you unless we meet in the final :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Think you could indeed be the surprise package, (and despite Ireland being our best ever team, unfortunatly hold no hope that we could meet you in the final) and see you with a better chance than France of stalling the ABs.

BTW, I though POM was an Aussie term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PeteJones

Well, I think Ireland has a good shot of semi's anyway ;)

Not sure if POM is an Aussie term but we defo use it as a term in SA.

Any other nations want to put up their player base they think might go to the WC? It might help to get to know other teams and players better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

I dont think the Autumn Internationals count for much in the RWC, the Fact of the matter is Ireland hasnt manged to beat France in 5 years, Never bet the ABs and skinned past Argentina the last two times by a point, cant see us winning

South Africa look good and their teams are doing well in the super 14 but I think with France the home advantage will count for alot and they certainly have strong team in depth to do it, I would go for the outside bet on France and the price of 66/1 for the Arges would be worth a punt as well in the low figures

still it is really the ABs to lose

Advertisement