Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what could be wrong here?

Options
  • 19-04-2007 2:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a Toshiba EA60-155 from a friend who's upgrading - he said the machine had stopped working after a fall and he was going to chuck it but I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I could get it working.

I put a new (formatted) HDD in there, and have the recovery disc with XP on it, but while the machine powers up without any issue, it doesn't get past the "Toshiba" screen... the CD recommends holding down "C" on start up to boot from the disc but this doesn't do anything either. If it does get past the toshiba screen it just leaves me with a blank screen that goes nowhere.

The disc drive seems to be working fine, I know the HDD is fine and after opening it up I can't see anything obviously wrong (broken wired, broken chips or CPU etc.), but that doesn't mean all of the components are fine.

Anyone know what it sounds like it could be, and if so how fixable is it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

See if you can actually get into the BIOS.

Then check two things:

1: Are the drives shown - if not, there's no hope of booting from them
    2: If they are, is there any kind of disk diagnostic tool? If so, run it.

TBH, after a drop, it could be any number of things. You could also open the machine up and make sure everything is connected correctly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

can't seem to get into the bios, which is probably a bad sign...

I've opened it up and can't see anything obviously wrong - no disconnections or breakages.

Will keep hammering away and see if google has any joy for me... but is it looking like a lost cause so far?

Advertisement