Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to change locks

Options
  • 19-04-2007 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Ok moving into my new house tomorrow. I want to change the locks on the front and back doors. Anyone got a recomendation on a good locksmith and also how much roughly it'll cost??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭conor_mc

When I moved into my new house, there was a master lock on all the houses in the estate. The foreman just removed the barrel from the doors and replaced them with ones fresh out of a box in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

This is a second hand house, so there isnt a management company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Think it should be cheap enough... I need to do the same myself, if you get it done could you let us know how much it cost you?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Will do, hopefully i should have a price pretty soon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you can get someone to come with, you can just remove the locks, run down to the local hardware (while your companion looks after the house), get exact copies, and fit them. Cheap enough and easy.

Can't see a locksmith being less than €200.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I did this a few years back on the front door of the new house and it was relatively easy as it was a standard Yale lock. If this is the case then they have them in Woodies, etc and it should just be a matter of unscrewing the old one and slotting in the new one.

Take some measurements before you buy and you should be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

seamus wrote:
    If you can get someone to come with, you can just remove the locks, run down to the local hardware (while your companion looks after the house), get exact copies, and fit them. Cheap enough and easy.
    Best option. Will cost maybe 20 euro per lock. Remember to do all external locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

This is an extremely easy process just screw out the old barrel and screw in the new one no locksmith needed, get a new barrel in any good DIY store

Advertisement