Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening date for M6/N6 extension to Kilbeggan

Options
  • 19-04-2007 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Does anyone have an expected date for the opening of this road from Tyrellspass to Kilbeggan...and will it by-pass Kilbeggan or does that part wait until the 2nd phase....?

Travelling the road in May and would be interested to know.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The section of new N6 dual carriageway from Kinnnegad to Tyrellspass opened last December, well ahead of schedule. The next section, from Tyrellspass to Kilbeggan, is due to open in late summer (no exact date set but probably August) - both these stretches are Phase 1 of the Kinnegad to Athlone road upgrade - the Kilbeggan to Athlone section (Phase 2) is due to open in late 2008.

Hope this helps....

The local papers (in Athlone) are stating that this section will open late spring, looks to me like it could open very soon the as both ends appear(almost) complete, unless there is a "missing link" that needs further work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Does anyone have an expected date for the opening of this road from Tyrellspass to Kilbeggan...and will it by-pass Kilbeggan or does that part wait until the 2nd phase....?

Travelling the road in May and would be interested to know.

I would not expect to see this before June/July...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

According to mail I recieved from NRA today

"The section of the N6 from Tyrrellspass to Kilbeggan is due to open on the 16th May 2007."

Call me cynical but I think they're trying to get two TDs in the constituency which is why it opens this side of the election and sod turning on the next phase is before the election too.

I remember Donnie Cassidy and Mary O'Rourke had to fight tooth and nail for votes last election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Mailman wrote:
    Call me cynical but I think they're trying to get two TDs in the constituency which is why it opens this side of the election and sod turning on the next phase is before the election too.

I remember Donnie Cassidy and Mary O'Rourke had to fight tooth and nail for votes last election.

I think that poor old Donnie will need more than a length of new dual carrigeway to get re-elected!:rolleyes:

Looks like the Belvedere extension to the N52 Mullingar bypass will be opened tomorrow also. The local papers are published in Mullingar on a Wednesday so guess what, all the photos of the opening ceremonies will be on the front page next Wednesday, the day before polling! Now when did they schedule that?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote:
    I think that poor old Donnie will need more than a length of new dual carrigeway to get re-elected!:rolleyes:

Looks like the Belvedere extension to the N52 Mullingar bypass will be opened tomorrow also. The local papers are published in Mullingar on a Wednesday so guess what, all the photos of the opening ceremonies will be on the front page next Wednesday, the day before polling! Now when did they schedule that?

I expect the vote for FF to hold up in the midlands and other parts down the country. With the wealth transfer to the midlands through re-location of government departments, spending on Hospitals with tiny catchment areas and loads of infrastructure projects(keeping it slightly on topic) people down the country are living in a cash fueled dream state. They never had the worries of crime, childcare or traffic congestion. On top of this the local property markets were driven by section 23, TRS, RRS and loads of specuvestors who were priced out of the larger cities. Towns just beyond the commuter belt in Westmeath, Laois and Offaly are drowning is cash so that's 6 seats bought for the FF/PD coalition straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Now that the road is opening today, can anyone confirm if we'll still have to travel through Kilbeggan. If we do, it won't shave that much from the journey...in fact traffic through Kilbeggan will probably be worse as it will all be arriving closer together.:eek:

PS - How do I edit the thread title....it should read N6/M6

Yes, you will still have to go through Kilbeggan as the new road joins the Tullamore road which is on the Dublin side of Kilbeggan. Traffic through the town should be the same, except for the bit between the old N6 & the new access roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,249 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that this section is being opened for the residents of Tullamore, not Westmeath. :D

• Advertisement

I know. Will be a very easy run back home to Tullamore now and once the Tullamore by-pass is in place in a few years time it will be easier still but I still wouldn't vote for Brian Cowen even if you paid me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Mailman wrote:
    people down the country are living in a cash fueled dream state. They never had the worries of crime, childcare or traffic congestion.

I must remind myself of that in the morning as I sit in the traffic jam bringing my kids to childcare, assuming my car is still there when I go out in the morning, now that Dublin's finest car thieves can get here in just 30 mins on the new M4!:D ;)

Oh and BTW Cullen did do a double gig and opened the N52 Mullingar bypass to Belvedere section today.

The reason Donie may not get elected is because a large section of his vote has been transfered into Meath due to boundary changes (and Mary O'Rourke still has her own hair!)

invest4deepvalue.com

Advertisement